How to create private network

pain

Jan 26, 2022
Hi, I want some help with networking in proxmox. I will explain my setup.
I want to create 4 Ubuntu virtual machines in proxmox name (iris, atropos, clotho, lachesis).
I want to make iris a gateway for the rest of my virtual machines (atropos, clotho, lachesis). This mean that it should has access to the internet and it should be in both subsets private & public.
While all other three VMs atropos, clotho and lachesis should be in private network. I want to install tiny proxy in iris and give access to other three virtual machines to the internet through tunnel.
The problem I am facing now is that when I create a vmbridge1 and apply configurations then my proxmox disconnects from the internet don't know why.
Can anyone help me how to create this type of setup with detailed steps as I am a proxmox noob.
Thanks

Is this on a single Proxmox server?

The "private" bridge you create does not need to have a physical ethernet port then.

The first bridge where the Proxmox management IP is assigned to should not be affected by a new bridge interface.

Thanks @gurubert for very fast response.

Is this on a single Proxmox server?
Yes, it is a single Proxmox server.
When I start the Ubuntu installation, it asks me for IPV4 address. I have 2 points here
  1. For the gateway, in both bridges, how to assign the IPs for both public and private. Because there are options automatic, disable, and manual. I want to assign manual IP. There are option subnet, address, gateway, name server, and domain name
  2. I have to assign an ip to the VMs connected to the private bridge because after the installation of Ubuntu I want to ssh into the machines. If I don't assign the IP now then I won't get it.
I hope you can help me.
Thanks

You assign the ip addresses for your internal network from a private range (RFC1918) or a public range if you have one. The router then has to route the packets and in case of a private range has to do NAT (network address translation).
In the Ubuntu installer you have to chose the manual installation unless your router VM provides a DHCP service for this network.
You can always login to the VMs via the Proxmox console and change the network settings.

You assign the ip addresses for your internal network from a private range (RFC1918) or a public range if you have one. The router then has to route the packets and in case of a private range has to do NAT (network address translation).
If am not correct then please correct me here as I am a learner. It means that if I want to assign a private IP to my VM then first I need to create a private subnet in my network and then assign 1 IP from there?

hope this can help.
You can practice NETWORKING with virtualbox and several windows xp or some light linux.

Try pfsense has gateway.

Attachments

• Basic Proxmox Networking.png
    Basic Proxmox Networking.png
    34 KB · Views: 472
@gurubert sorry for being annoying I told you I am a noob in proxmox :rolleyes:. This is my vmbr0 and vmbr1 configurations. I just need to know what add here in image 2. i learnt the basics of ip networking but still could not figure out what to do :(

Attachments

• 1655114145742.png
    1655114145742.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 1655114253417.png
    1655114253417.png
    36 KB · Views: 261
@gurubert sorry for being annoying I told you I am a noob in proxmox :rolleyes:. This is my vmbr0 and vmbr1 configurations. I just need to know what add here in image 2. i learnt the basics of ip networking but still could not figure out what to do :(
I would prefer not to touch the interfaces, I prefer to create bridges and configure them however I want.

In that case, I would put the ipp that the router gives us if you want it manually: 192.168.0.25 and 192.168.0.1 as the gateway, do not forget to indicate DNS.

In my case (see images) VM's has 192.168.111.xxx

Attachments

• Captura1.PNG
    Captura1.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 303
  • Captura2.PNG
    Captura2.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 340
Sir @papate I am really thankful to you for your efforts.
hope this can help.
I fully understood and and this implementation is what I am exactly trying to achieve for my proxmox VMs. It is well explained.
But due to my lack of knowledge I am not able to implement it correctly. i will try to explain step by step what I am doing then please correct me where I am wrong.
I would prefer not to touch the interfaces, I prefer to create bridges and configure them however I want.
As you said that I should be configuring bridges So did I in Pic1.
Pic 1.png

vmbr0 was created by default when I first installed proxmox and it seems to be working fine in terms of connections to the internet. I created vmbr1 by following your instructions

After that I am creating a Ubuntu vm iris (the gateway to connect my VMs in private network to the internet with the help of tiny proxy). I have assigned both network bridges to this gateway machine as I want to have it both private and public IPs.
Pic 2.png
Now, this is the most confusing step for me. During the installation of Ubuntu, we have to configure network connections. In the below pic you can see that the machine is automatically given a public IP but not a private IP. So i need to configure it.
Pic 3.png
pic 4.png

I tried to follow the instructions given by you in the image you created in your first comment. I added the gateway and assigned an address but I am not sure what should be the name server and search domain. Also when I create I new VM solely present in the private bridge and connect it to the gateway through tinyproxy then for some reason it does not work. I am not sure what i am doing wrong.
Could you please help me?
Thanks
Pain

Last edited:
Put no slaves on vmbr1, and do not set IP.
Private LAN must be set MANUALLY until you install a DHCP SERVER on Ubuntu.

I recommend passing only one interface. The one on the INTERNET.
Another thing to remember is that when you change the network settings in proxmox you have to reboot.

Attachments

• Captura3.png
    Captura3.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Captura4.png
    Captura4.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 201
Thanks sir @papete for the explanation. I have managed to make it work but there is still a small problem. I am working behind the proxy. I am able to connect to the internet but some of the packages are failing to download because of the DNS. I know this because when I tried to ping the google, I got this error

Code:
ping google.com
ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

i think I need to configure the DNS at the installation step pic 4.png

any idea what I have to add for my DNS?
Thanks
Pain

Hi, DNS is in "Name servers" field.
Check it in google "How to set up DNS in UBUNTU" to not reinstall. this way you learn.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!