How to change IP address and hostname of PVE machine after installation ?

fintnovo

Renowned Member
Jan 4, 2014
Good day to everyone !

I've installed Proxmox VE 3.1 in my LAN. Server has 4 NICs (eth0,1,2,3). During installation I've used temporary IP addresses (192.168.100.221) for the first NIC and temporary hostname proxmox1. Now I want to change IP address and hostname to transfer server to other LAN.

But after changing IP address (new address 192.168.0.1) in /etc/network/interfaces and hostname (new hostname srv01) in /etc/hostname and correcting /etc/hosts, web-interface didn't answer.

Is any correct way to change IP and hostname on installed standalone PVE ?

Thanks in advance for answer ).

Good day to everyone !

I've installed Proxmox VE 3.1 in my LAN. Server has 4 NICs (eth0,1,2,3). During installation I've used temporary IP addresses (192.168.100.221) for the first NIC and temporary hostname proxmox1. Now I want to change IP address and hostname to transfer server to other LAN.

But after changing IP address (new address 192.168.0.1) in /etc/network/interfaces and hostname (new hostname srv01) in /etc/hostname and correcting /etc/hosts, web-interface didn't answer.

Is any correct way to change IP and hostname on installed standalone PVE ?

Thanks in advance for answer ).

Hi,
the official way is an new installation.
Perhaps you can change it by hand (never tried).
Take a look at /etc/pve - there are directories and links named the hostname
Code:
local -> nodes/proxmox1
openvz -> nodes/proxmox1/openvz
qemu-server -> nodes/proxmox1/qemu-server
also defined in cluster.conf

Udo

the official way is an new installation.
I agree with udo.

I've tried changing the hostname and IP addresses post install and found that you can get it working by modifying a few config files but I would occasionally encounter issues where it was looking for the original hostname or IP. When possible, a clean install is the best option.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!