How to add second and third ZFS pools to Proxmox 5.1?

mfg

Jan 18, 2015
I am migrating from 3.4 to 5.1 and I'm trying to have the same setup (one pool for proxmox and 2 for storage)
- rpool - promox boot mirror
- store - main storage, large pool, reduntant
- alwayson - read/write "scratch disk" pool, no redundancy, used as a temp bind mount for various containers

Store and alwayson were mounted to /mnt/<pool-name> and were exposed to proxmox by "add folder" to proxmox storage - for example i added dataset /mnt/alwayson/containers as a storage folder in proxmox. This allowed me to install/run containers on each pool.

Now, I installed 5.1 on a fresh rpool, but I'm having trouble replicating the behaviour from 3.4. Please keep in mind I can't wipe the "store" and "alwayson" pools, but I added them with zfs import.

What I tried:

(1) web gui -> datacenter -> storage => add alwayson/xtemp as a folder then tried to restore a lxc container:

Discarding device blocks: 4096/2097152 done
Creating filesystem with 2097152 4k blocks and 524288 inodes
Filesystem UUID: 1bfd5b4f-b0d1-40f3-b46d-dcfade4dfb8a
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632
Allocating group tables: 0/64 done
Writing inode tables: 0/64 done
Creating journal (16384 blocks): done
Multiple mount protection is enabled with update interval 5 seconds.
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: 0/64
Warning, had trouble writing out superblocks.
TASK ERROR: command 'mkfs.ext4 -O mmp -E 'root_owner=100000:100000' /mnt/alwayson/xtemp/images/1110012/vm-1110012-disk-1.raw' failed: exit code 144

(2) web gui -> datacenter -> storage => add alwayson/xdataset as zfs then tried to restore a lxc container

mounting container failed
TASK ERROR: cannot open directory //alwayson: No such file or directory

(3) web gui -> datacenter -> storage => add alwayson as zfs then tried to restore a lxc container

mounting container failed
TASK ERROR: cannot open directory //alwayson: No such file or directory

What I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your time!

you need to set the mountpoints in ZFS correctly (e.g., a dataset "foo/bar" needs to be mounted at "/foo/bar"), then configuring with the ZFS storage plugin works as expected.

Thank you very much, I managed to resolve this issue at almost the same time you posted (tested all possible combinations in a virtual machine with proxmox).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!