How to add existing ZFS pool to a mountable storage path for all VMs/CTs.

Blake43

May 29, 2024
Alright, super noob here to bear with me. But this is my backup sever that's also serving as my practice server before migrating everything to it from my truenas server. I just need to have my entire TANK visible on SMB of which i'm following this youtube tutorial and i'm good up to the 12:37 mark haha. This is the most basic and boring proxmox install/use i'm sure but it literally is a temporary holding area while my main server is being built and i went with proxmox assuming it was good to have the same OS for easy syncing. (eventually this "beta" server will be at a different location but that's another project for another time).

I got some help figuring out how to have this backup server (full of non-vital data) to be Raid0 on reddit. That went great. proxmox shows a zfs poool and it's named "tank."

I ran systemctl enable zfs-import@tank and it seems to be fine? enabled intel IMMU according to this similar post which also worked i think? But nothing i do is allowing me to discover my tank pool inside any VM/CT when under the Resources/mount point page. Storages only shows local and local-lvm. I referred to this guide about adding this but it also says "This isn’t passing the disk through directly so it’s not a good idea to use ZFS or raid on the passed through disks" which has me confused...

Am I stupid? or am I asking for something that cannot exist? (screenshot to show (maybe?) useful info about zfs pool).

thanks in advance to anyone willing to help a noob out :)

-Blake

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!