[SOLVED] How do I store VMs and Containers on a ZFS raid 1

jidland12

May 16, 2021
I recently just added a second server to become my new main server. I have 2x 500gb SSDs in a ZFS raid1 created in the installer (ssds each plug directly into mobo sata). How do I enable storage of VMs and Containers on my drives as I only have the two SSDs for proxmox to access.

The only additional configuration that I have done is having the server join a cluster.

My proxmox view https://imgur.com/2RyNfBD

The local-lvm was created automatically and has access to store VMs but has a size of 0B

if I go to create an LVM volume the only option I get is to add a new disk (those disks will be given to TrueNAS)

When I try to create a VM i get "TASK ERROR: unable to create VM 110 - no such volume group 'pve'"

Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
When you are using ZFS you don't use LVM. These are two independen types of storages. After installing proxmox on a ZFS mirror you should got a pool "rpool". This is where your root filesystem and VMs are stored on.

When you are using ZFS you don't use LVM. These are two independen types of storages. After installing proxmox on a ZFS mirror you should got a pool "rpool". This is where your root filesystem and VMs are stored on.
I do see that but how do I create VMs to be stored in that location? my only option when selecting the location to store the VMs is the local-lvm. Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I can not figure it out

Figured out a solution that is just so obvious I didn't think about. Went into storage under datacenter and edited local storage to accept all the storage needs I needed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!