How do I get PBS to use a (new) LV on my external disk as storage?

gctwnl

Aug 24, 2022
I have installed PBS on PVE. I would like to create a storage area for PBS on a large-ish external RAID on which already another LV has been created for other purposes.

Based on the manual(s), I am having trouble understanding how to set this up. I don't want to use the entire external disk for PBS, I just want to create a volume and use that.

In PVE I can add 'Proxmox Backup Server', but I think that is not my (first) step. I think I must first create a standard LV in PVE and then use that in PBS to make it the storage area, then (maybe?) go back to PVE to add the local host as 'Proxmox Backup Server'? Is that correct?

My VG/LV setup looks like this:

Code:
root@pve:~# vgs
  VG          #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize    VFree
  pve           1   4   0 wz--n- <931.01g 15.99g
  rna-mepdm-1   1   0   0 wz--n-   <1.75t <1.75t

root@pve:~# lvs
  LV            VG          Attr       LSize    Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data          pve         twi-aotz-- <794.79g             0.56   0.26                          
  root          pve         -wi-ao----   96.00g                                                  
  swap          pve         -wi-ao----    8.00g                                                  
  vm-100-disk-0 pve         Vwi-aotz--   32.00g data        13.83                                
  vm-100-disk-0 rna-mepdm-1 -wi-ao----  500.00g

How do I get PBS to use a (new) LV on my external disk as storage?

Hi,

you will need to add your new storage as a datastore inside PBS [1], and then connect PVE to your PBS server. There you can choose the datastore which you just created. Maybe check out these pages: [2][3], which should guide you through the process.

[1] https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/storage.html#datastore
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#storage_pbs
[3] https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/storage.html
Thank you. I had read the info on PBS already. I was wondering at the step before step 1. Do I create a new LV like vm-100-disk-0 on rna-mepdm-1, have an ext4 fs on that, mount that inside PVE's Debian (via fstab), then add that directory to PBS as data store (as both run on the same Debian)? Just my uncertainty I think that is right but I'd like to be certain)

yes except you need to add/create datastore in pbs not in PVE.
in pbs, enter the path defined in fstab.
be patient, datastore creation isn't fast.
only after creation done, you can add a "Proxmox Backup Server" in PVE, specifying 127.0.0.1 as server, root@pam as user if you havn't set another, the pbs datastore name and the Fingerprint.

Last edited:
yes except you need to add/create datastore in pbs not in PVE.
in pbs, enter the path defined in fstab.
be patient, datastore creation isn't fast.
only after creation done, you can add a "Proxmox Backup Server" in PVE, specifying 127.0.0.1 as server, root@pam as user if you havn't set another, the pbs datastore name and the Fingerprint.
That is what I intended and did (though I used the command line and there can be some confusion of course as PEV and PBS are the same Debian where you enter the commands).

Weirdly enough, the Ubuntu 32GB VM I tried to backup with a snapshot was being backed up including its 500GB mounted external disk (which according to the manual shouldn't happen if I understand things). But that is another next issue to solve.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!