How can i add a SSD as Journal-DB to an CEPH-OSD on a running clusternode?

hape

Renowned Member
Jun 10, 2013
Hello all,

is it possible to add a SSD to a CEPH-OSD on a running clusternode, or should i remove the OSD from the pool first, to create the OSD new with a seperate Journal-DB-Disk?

Does anyone have any idea or tip for me?

I am in the same situation.

So one has to remove an OSD and create it new while adding the ssd.

If I read the docs right, a 250gb ssd should be fine for a 2tb hdd, right?

And then all writes will go through the ssd, right? But reads will be from the hdd directly.

What happens, if/when the ssd dies? Will the hdd still be accessible or is the entire OSD then dead?

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-ceph-what-happens-when-you-loose-a-journal-disk.24148/

As per above link I assume all data will go "poof" on the OSD aswell. But as its Ceph and you have other nodes that contain replicas of the data you just add the replacement SSDs in place and wipe the OSD's and recreate the OSDs with the new SSD as journals on that particular node I assume.

I have not done this in production yet but in staging area when we tested Ceph that is how it works so I assume in theory that's how it works

People may correct me if I am incorrect :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!