hot pull disk doesn't seem to work

peetaur

Jun 29, 2012
Germany
When I remove a virtio .raw disk from a VM, it still appears in /dev/vdb in the VM. In my case, this disk is on an NFS server. Is this expected? What should I do to actually remove it?

"qm monitor 100" followed by "info blocK" lists the disk, but "qm config 100" does not list the disk anymore. (see code block below)

Issuing "shutdown -r now" does not remove the disk either, but using the proxmox gui to kill the vm, or "shutdown -h now" and starting again removes the disk. Anyone know if this is normal? What formats are you using, and does hot pulling disks work for you?

Code:
$ qm config 100
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 4
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 512
name: test
net0: virtio=CA:F0:7E:04:7F:B4,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: l26
sockets: 1
unused0: nfsserver:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw
virtio0: local:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw

$ qm monitor 100
Entering Qemu Monitor for VM 100 - type 'help' for help
qm> info block
drive-virtio1: removable=0 io-status=ok file=/mnt/pve/nfsserver/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw ro=0 drv=raw encrypted=0 bps=0 bps_rd=0 bps_wr=0 iops=0 iops_rd=0 iops_wr=0
drive-ide2: removable=1 locked=0 tray-open=0 io-status=ok [not inserted]
drive-virtio0: removable=0 io-status=ok file=/var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw ro=0 drv=raw encrypted=0 bps=0 bps_rd=0 bps_wr=0 iops=0 iops_rd=0 iops_wr=0

(at this point I shut down the vm with "shutdown -h now")
qm> info block
ERROR: VM 100 not running

qm> info block
drive-ide2: removable=1 locked=0 tray-open=0 io-status=ok [not inserted]
drive-virtio0: removable=0 io-status=ok file=/var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw ro=0 drv=raw encrypted=0 bps=0 bps_rd=0 bps_wr=0 iops=0 iops_rd=0 iops_wr=0
qm>

There is no hotplug by default. You need to stop/start the VM to activate configuration changes.

In that case, I suggest adding a message to the GUI when making changes.

Or ideally, put a note on each line that needs a reboot, such as a "*", or a new column showing the effective setting. For example:

proxmox_hardware_tab_modified.png

And you said "by default". Does that mean there is a way to activate it? And what are the side effects?

just to note, a restart will not help as its the same a reboot.

you need to stop/start to apply changes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!