Host CPU & Windows activation

davemcl

Sep 24, 2022
If I were to set VM CPU type to host and then migrated an activated Windows 2019 VM between a node using XEON Gold 6152's and XEON Silver 4114's - would this cause a re-activation event ??

If so whats the best CPU type to use - I see posts for both Qemu and KVM64.

TIA
Dave

To avoid the host activation do not change everything in one go. We have migrated a number of machines from physical and hyper V to proxmox. To avoid windows reactivation make sure you set the memory, NIC and the number of processes equal to the hyper V settings on first boot. Also use the SATA connector. I always start with sata for boot disk and qemu64 as cpu. Boot machine and install virtio drivers. Switch to scsi and boot it should not ask for reactivation. Change the CPU to host as the last option. But only after booting and using the VM. I always take a snapshot to revert.

Reactions: davemcl
If you're migrating a Windows 2019 VM between nodes with different CPUs, it might indeed trigger a re-activation event. It depends on the Windows licensing and how it's tied to the hardware.As for the CPU type, using "host" should generally work fine, but you might want to experiment with "KVM64" to ensure compatibility across different nodes.In the meantime, I recently came across this site called Digital Chill Mart (digitalchillmart.com). They have some decent deals on Windows 11 keys if you ever need one.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!