Host Backup

Dec 24, 2022
So i know there is a way to backup the vms and i do this. My question is how do i back up the actual host? To include config files and everything. Basically if my machine died today i would be able to take a new hard drive and restore the config back to exactly what it was.... I have a lot of custom configs and i try to take notes when i make changes. But so much has changed and i'm worried without backup it will be difficult to get my host back to what it is now.

Is there a definitive list of what to back up as "/etc/ folder etc" is a bit vague and I'm sure there are other folders that would be good to back up?

Perhaps a future possibility is some kind of function that backs up just the host config to a local folder, in a zip perhaps, that we can then back up separately however we want. The zip could then be used to restore after performing a clean install or even during the install to get the host back to the previous state. My OPNsense firewall does this very effectively and has saved me a few times recovering from various hardware failures.

You need to decide if you want block backup (for example clonezilla) or file backup (for example borg). Both have their cons and prons.
And you can use something as ansible to have changes vs default in git.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!