[SOLVED] HOME Variable is not set // mcedit does not work in the debian container

adams13

Oct 11, 2023
Hi!
I have installed proxmox 8.1.3 and "debian-11-standard" container using https://github.com/bashclub/zamba-lxc-toolbox.
I have installed midnight commander ("apt-get install mc") in both proxmox pve and the container.

When I run "mc" from the web console in the host OS (Datacenter -> pve -> shell), it works.
When I run "mc" from the web console in the container OS (Datacenter -> pve -> "100 my container" -> shell), it does not work as expected.

1. Functional keys did not work ("*" instead of "F3" etc.) --> solved by adding TERM=xterm-256color into /root/.bashrc as suggested here and here.
2. The problem: if I press "F4" to edit the file, a dialog comes to choose the editor to use. When I choose the editor, a file .selected_editor is saved to the root of the file system (/) instead of my "home directory" (/root). The editor does not start.

I have checked where the program /usr/bin/select-editor saves the file, it uses the $HOME variable, it is empty. echo $HOME shows an empty string.

The $HOME variable is not set for the container root user in the web-console.

However, it works as expected for other users (su testuser) and when I change the user twice (su testuser and then su)

It looks like something is not initialized in the web console. Where the $HOME variable should be set, what am I missing?

EDIT: Adding HOME=/root into /root/.bashrc does not make a trick: echo $HOME starts to show /root, but "F4" in midnight commander still asks to set an editor and does not work.

Last edited:
Well, it should have been some glitch. The problem solved by changing the root password and rebooting the container; now it asks for user name and password when I open the (web) console and sets the HOME variable properly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!