[SOLVED] High IO wait during backups after upgrading to Proxmox 7

In Proxmox VE 7.3, it's possible to configure the number of workers used for VMs for vzdump/backup jobs. It's not yet exposed via UI, please see this post for how to configure it.

Reactions: leesteken
I also changed it to 1, as my small Atom CPU can't handle all the hashing/encryption/compression of PBS + ZFS overhead. Will report back after the next weekly backup, if it help when using weak CPUs. Average load jumping from 4 to 32 wasn't great when doing PBS backups and just using a weak quadcore CPU.

It is also necessary to restart or live migrate the virtual servers so they use the updated kvm binary.
max-workers=1 seems to be working well so far.

On one node I restarted some, but not all VMs
In this IO wait graph the arrows are when vzdump began on a VM running the updated KVM, the spikes in IO wait are backups of VMs still running on the old KVM binary.
1669991852159.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!