high IO delay

glimasiva

May 14, 2023
Hello,

I have a Dual Intel Xeon 2690 V2 server, I use an NvMe for my Vps and for the Proxmox 1 500Gb SSD system (Only for the system) the NvMe is only for the Vps because it is an adaptation, after months with the server this month I felt IO delay a little above normal, and when I try to create a VM the other ends up crashing or freezing, I've tried everything but I don't know what to do to solve this problem. I use Proxmox 7.4-3

1684041072578.png

1684041088709.png

My server configuration
CPU : Dual Intel Xeon 2690 V2 3,0Ghz
RAM : 256 GB DDR3
SSD: 1x 500Gb Kingston
NvMe: 1x 2Tb Netac nv3000

I bet on zfs mirror for nvme consumer drives, so io delay will be inevitable.
please read zfs requirements. only datacenter PLP protected ssd is suitable for zfs ( and ceph) .

The I/O does not seem that high to me and I would not expect it to crash (other) VMs. Even when using ZFS with suboptimal drives, Especially when Proxmox (lots of litte writes) is separated from the VM storage. Are there no clues in the system logs?

Do you see anything in the guest VM that crashes right before it crashes completely? As in, connect to the console of the guest in question, then try to create a new VM and observe. What about the old syslog after the crash?

if you have three VMs spun up (just deal with a crash or two to get another one going), and you try to create another vm, do all the VMs crash?

I bet on zfs mirror for nvme consumer drives, so io delay will be inevitable.
please read zfs requirements. only datacenter PLP protected ssd is suitable for zfs ( and ceph) .
Sorry for the doubts, and I'm new to proxmox, I used virtualizor, my disks are in LVM, on this machine I don't have anything swap or ZFS

The I/O does not seem that high to me and I would not expect it to crash (other) VMs. Even when using ZFS with suboptimal drives, Especially when Proxmox (lots of litte writes) is separated from the VM storage. Are there no clues in the system logs?
I don't understand much about proxmox, where can I check the logs?

Do you see anything in the guest VM that crashes right before it crashes completely? As in, connect to the console of the guest in question, then try to create a new VM and observe. What about the old syslog after the crash?

if you have three VMs spun up (just deal with a crash or two to get another one going), and you try to create another vm, do all the VMs crash?
My customers who felt a certain slowness in the machines even falling after one was created by my WHMCS, when he makes the ISO clone they crash

What about if you do it manually through the GUI? Same behavior? Just want to rule out WHCMS here. Also to see logs you can go in the GUI, click on the node, click System then Syslog.

Worse than even inside the panel it still crashes the vm, oh yes opening the log here but at least I don't know if there's something wrong
What about if you do it manually through the GUI? Same behavior? Just want to rule out WHCMS here. Also to see logs you can go in the GUI, click on the node, click System then Syslog.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 9

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!