High Availability with 3 nodes, but only 1 remaining when no main AC power

prox_enthu

Apr 3, 2021
Hi, relatively new to PVE in a Home Lab. I already have successfully set up a 3-node cluster and can manage the HA and zfs replication with no issues.

Question 1: Up to having 2 nodes down due to lack of power, I am left with 1 node that can work on UPS when power is down, and in that case it lacks the quorum to be able to pick up the HA VMs or CTs. I am able to force it with pvecm expected 1 but that is only temporary and it always requires me to to enter it if that happens, hence this is not really HA in my case. How can I solve this? Having 1 node left, being able to pick up the HA work?

Question 2: Upon resuming work after power failure, how can I make the VMs that have failed over to the machine on the UPS (which is low-powered compared to the higher powered ones on constant AC) get back to their initial node? At the moment, after cluster is restored with all nodes up and running, my VMs remain on the last node and I have to manually move them to the machines I prefer them to run on normally. Again, this is not very HA for my scenario.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Question 2: Use HA Groups and select the preferred node for that group. The guests that are part of this group, will prefer the selected node and will migrate back once it is back up.

Question 1: PVE clusters need a majority to work. Your use case where you only have one out of three nodes left, is not covered.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!