High Availability Cluster issue

timmy

Dec 15, 2010
Hi,

I setup a HA cluster from reading: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/High_Availability_Cluster etc.

I have a 3 host setup running 2.1.

DRDB is on 2 of the servers mirroring a VMs disk.

I have set that VM up as a cluster managed machine, but it seems to try to bring the machine up on the 3rd machine which doesnt have the DRDB disk. Can you specify which machines a HA managed VM will come up on? It would make sense to me.

Thanks
Tim

Hi,

I ran a test and It didnt seem to auto fence a machine when I powered it down. Hence didnt start it on the 2nd machine.

If I manually fence the primary server then the 2nd one does take over correctly so its just a fencing issue.. any ideas?

config:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<cluster config_version="25" name="xxx">
<cman expected_votes="2" keyfile="/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey"/>
<fencedevices>
<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" ipaddr="10.20.3.1" login="root" name="ipmi_host11" passwd="1234"/>
<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" ipaddr="10.20.3.2" login="root" name="ipmi_host12" passwd="1234"/>
</fencedevices>
<clusternodes>
<clusternode name="host5" nodeid="5" votes="1"/>
<clusternode name="host11" nodeid="11" votes="1">
<fence>
<method name="1">
<device name="ipmi_host11"/>
</method>
</fence>
</clusternode>
<clusternode name="host12" nodeid="12" votes="1">
<fence>
<method name="1">
<device name="ipmi_host12"/>
</method>
</fence>
</clusternode>
</clusternodes>
<rm>

<pvevm autostart="1" vmid="201" domain="xxx"/>
<failoverdomains>
<failoverdomain name="xxx" restricted="1" ordered="1" nofailback="1">
<failoverdomainnode name="host11" priority="1"/>
<failoverdomainnode name="host12" priority="10"/>
</failoverdomain>
</failoverdomains>
</rm>
</cluster>

The fenc device works .. I can use it to power up and down the machine and check status from cli.

How long should it take to realise its offline?

HA clustering and fencing is a challenging setup and you should think of going for a commercial support subscription - so we can work directly with you to get things sorted out.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!