Hi, One of my host in my cluster cant do snapshot of my lxc or vm or the rest.

cyqpann

Nov 18, 2021
Hi guys,

I have a question. One of my host in my cluster can't take snapshot and the other one can. the one who can is in btrfs and the other one, i don't remember the file format is there a way to manual snapshot for the one i can't or i need to change something to be able ? when i go on my ct and on the snapshot tab, i have this message : The current guest configuration does not support taking new snapshot

If you need some command or some information to help me, just ask and i will provide them.

P.S. I'm ultra novice with linux

edited, a typo in my text

Last edited:
Hi,

it would be helpful if you could provide more information about the storage setup of the cluster. While btrfs supports snapshot, some other storage types don't or require the VM images to be in the .qcow2 format to take snapshots. You can get more information about that in the manual [1].

PS: Don't mark your questions as tutorials. This will confuse others and might prevent you from getting help faster. The "Tutorial" tag is meant for posts outlining how to achieve certain tasks, not for questions or support requests. Thank you!

[1]: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_storage_types

thanks for the reply, i didn't mean to mark it as a tutorial. it probably when i watch the option avalaible and i took it without noticing. im far from making tutorial ;)

my host is made of 2 ssd in raid 1 in btrfs and a single storage hdd separated in 3 partitions, 1 ext and 2 xfs. on this one, the take snapshot is grey out with this message: The current guest configuration does not support taking new snapshots

My other host is made of 4 ssd in raid 5 if i remember in btrfs mode. on this one i can snapshot all my lxc / vm

i created a cluster with both host.

a single storage hdd separated in 3 partitions, 1 ext and 2 xfs. on this one, the take snapshot is grey out with this message: The current guest configuration does not support taking new snapshots
That is probably because your VMs use the raw format for their disks. Both ext4 and xfs fall under "Directory" storage. When you look at the table in the manual [1] you can see that they only support snapshots when using the .qcow2 format. If you provide the configuration of the VMs in question, i could confirm this suspicion.

hmm

on my host, i have a windows machine and a lxc debian . the lxc with debian that can't do snapshot is in purple and the one that can do snapshot on the same host is in green.

Attachments

• serveur config.png
    serveur config.png
    346.8 KB · Views: 27
Ok so you configured a mount point there that mounts a host directory into the container. This prevents you from taking a snapshot. If unmount it you should be able to take the snapshot but that will of course not include the data in the mounted directory.

Ok so you configured a mount point there that mounts a host directory into the container. This prevents you from taking a snapshot. If unmount it you should be able to take the snapshot but that will of course not include the data in the mounted directory.
oh my.. you kidding right.. just because i mount a custom path, i couldn't do snapshot... that another beautiful problem for me but thanks a lot for helping me to find my problem.

my other question is, do you know a way i could mount this partition mp0: /srv/datawordpress,mp=/datawordpress and still be able to do snapshot of the lxc container? For now, i will remove the path from my host everytime i need to do a snapshot, but this cause me an headache of mapping this everytime and unmapping this to my lxc containerto make a snapshot.

Best regards

Cyqpann

Reactions: alexdelprete
Well no I am not kidding, snapshotting a container with a bind mount is currently not possible. However, there is already and open enhancement request [1] and you can find some more information about this in the following forum thread [2].

[1]: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1007
[2]: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/why-do-bind-mounts-prevent-snapshots.85495/
Well no I am not kidding, snapshotting a container with a bind mount is currently not possible. However, there is already and open enhancement request [1] and you can find some more information about this in the following forum thread [2].

[1]: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1007
[2]: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/why-do-bind-mounts-prevent-snapshots.85495/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!