Help with Kali VM hangs when attempting passthrough of second (identical) GPU

chintzy_butters

Sep 28, 2020
I am setting up a homelab and I'm running into an issue passing a second GPU to Kali. Both are GTX 1080

The first GPU is passed through without issue, and the nvidia drivers are installed and operational. When attempting to add the additional hardware to pass the second GPU (identical to the first aside from address) the VM appears to be running but nothing is shown on the console, not even a boot screen (also nothing appears to be output over via the gpu).

I can remove one card and add the second and it will boot to console without complaint, so i know both cards are working, just not together. I'm hoping someone can point me towards a solution or what logs I should investigate to find the conflict. My vimd.conf is below. It boots to console without complaint and the VM has direct access to the nvidia GPU.

Adding the second GPU by either hostpci1: 17:00,pcie=1 or hostpci1: 17:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1 leads to no boot screen on console (or through gpu).

I'm running 6.2-12 with community updates current as of today. Also, for what it's worth, I was able to configure and boot simultaneously 2 windows 10 VM's each with dedicated gpu and usb.

any ideas?

VIMD.CONF
Code:
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 16
cpu: host
efidisk0: VM:vm-200-disk-1,size=1M
hostpci0: 65:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1
ide2: none,media=cdrom
machine: q35
memory: 32768
name: Kali
net0: virtio=06:33:2D:A9:1D:61,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
parent: Working_Configuration_1GPU
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=2f9a7d55-31ab-405d-a476-19c642fd13e4
sockets: 1
virtio0: VM:vm-200-disk-0,size=40G
vmgenid: 5f281a8f-1930-48e8-a42e-18cdd72084e9

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!