[SOLVED] Help needed in recovering node with ZFS mirror

Vasilij Lebedinskij

Jan 30, 2016
Hello! I have a problem with one node. After reboot it failed to start pve-manager and the services it said there is no free space left on /. So i managed to free about 300Mb removing unnecessary caches and packages but df said root is still 100% full. Then i took another drive installed clean PVE on it and imported my ZFS pool as second storage. I can see disk image of my vm now so i created VM and added this image as second drive. When i try to move it to local storage i get an error "dataset does not exist" however zfs mirror is online. Please help....

Attachments

• 2016-05-11 15-31-16 Create Thread | Proxmox Support Forum.png
    2016-05-11 15-31-16 Create Thread | Proxmox Support Forum.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 2016-05-11 15-33-07 ivoryblade — ssh 192.168.100.168 -l root — 80×24.png
    2016-05-11 15-33-07 ivoryblade — ssh 192.168.100.168 -l root — 80×24.png
    34 KB · Views: 8
  • 2016-05-11 15-33-57 Banners and Alerts.png
    2016-05-11 15-33-57 Banners and Alerts.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 8
Yes. I successfully added my pool to new node but i can't move disk image to another storage to free space and recover old node. What does error "dataset does not exist" mean?

Today i'm trying to expand ZFS pool so i can recover old node.
So now i have degraded pool with only /dev/sda2 and missing /dev/sdc2
I detached /dev/sdc drive and pluged drive with more capacity 320GB (/dev/sdb), cloned partition layout and now resilvering my pool. After that i want to add another drive with same capacity as new one (dev/sdc), clone partition layout on it, detach first drive (dev/sda) and resize partition with zfs on last one (dev/sdc), after resilver and detach second drive (dev/sdb). So i should have degraded pool with a lot of free space in the end.... i hope. Is this right way i'm going?

please post the output of "zfs list -t all" "zpool status" and "pveversion -v" and the content of "/etc/pve/storage.cfg" and the VM config as text inside [ code][ /code] tags.

Today i'm trying to expand ZFS pool so i can recover old node.
So now i have degraded pool with only /dev/sda2 and missing /dev/sdc2
I detached /dev/sdc drive and pluged drive with more capacity 320GB (/dev/sdb), cloned partition layout and now resilvering my pool. After that i want to add another drive with same capacity as new one (dev/sdc), clone partition layout on it, detach first drive (dev/sda) and resize partition with zfs on last one (dev/sdc), after resilver and detach second drive (dev/sdb). So i should have degraded pool with a lot of free space in the end.... i hope. Is this right way i'm going?

This procedure should work. I did it a while ago, but I did not replace the small drive in the mirror and just left it as a single drive.

You will need to issue this command to tell ZFS to use the new full size of your drives after the small drive is removed:

Code:
zpool online -e rpool /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2

assuming you are left with those two devices as your pool mirror members.

This procedure should work. I did it a while ago, but I did not replace the small drive in the mirror and just left it as a single drive.

You will need to issue this command to tell ZFS to use the new full size of your drives after the small drive is removed:

Code:
zpool online -e rpool /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2

assuming you are left with those two devices as your pool mirror members.

Thanks for advise but i gone another way to solve my problem! I just added another mirror and upgraded my pool to raid 10. My pool is up again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!