Help determining storage needs

jakob42

Apr 9, 2019
Hi,

I'm testing proxmox with our last gen hardware. I've got a couple servers I want to use in a proxmox cluster, but don't have a storage. So I installed Ubuntu on another spare server and thought I would use it as iSCSI target. Right now I have a big raid device on the server and am in the process of setting it up as an iSCSI target. (off topic: Any recommendations there? Not sure what system is the best, SCST, LIO/TCM or one of the others...)

After reading the storage wiki page and the ZFS over iSCSI page I'm unsure what I really need. I want to be able to run VMs and CTs on the cluster, move them between the cluster hosts and make snapshots of the VMs and CTs. Is my setup enough to test this and if so, what storage solution from the storage page is the best for my use case?

Thanks in advance!

The wiki page that you referenced states the system requirements for the use of the ZFS/iSCSI plugin: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_ZFS_over_iSCSI

To further confirm requirements you can take a look at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/ZFSPlugin.pm
Code:
my $zfs_get_base = sub {
    my ($scfg) = @_;

if ($scfg->{iscsiprovider} eq 'comstar') {
        return PVE::Storage::LunCmd::Comstar::get_base;
    } elsif ($scfg->{iscsiprovider} eq 'istgt') {
        return PVE::Storage::LunCmd::Istgt::get_base;
    } elsif ($scfg->{iscsiprovider} eq 'iet') {
        return PVE::Storage::LunCmd::Iet::get_base;
    } elsif ($scfg->{iscsiprovider} eq 'LIO') {
        return PVE::Storage::LunCmd::LIO::get_base;
    } else {
        $zfs_unknown_scsi_provider->($scfg->{iscsiprovider});
    }
};

These are the only iSCSI providers supported by the plugin. Since your requirement is to move VM/CTs between cluster members then most storage solutions from Storage WIKI which are marked SHARED=yes would be suitable for you.

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: jakob42

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!