HE IPv6 tunnel dividing /48 to /64's on Proxmox

Qian Chen

Jul 14, 2015
I'm playing with Hurricane Electric's IPv6 tunnelbroker and am running Proxmox with a hardware node and multiple vms. Now I managed to allocate IPv6 addresses from my /64 pool to the vms. Here is how I did it:

On Hardware Node:
Code:
auto he-ipv6
    iface he-ipv6 inet6 v4tunnel
           address 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::2
           netmask 64
           endpoint endpoint_ipv4
           local local_ipv4
           ttl 255
           gateway 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::1

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
           address 2001:xxxx:xxxy:xxxx::1
           netmask 64
           gateway 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::2

On VM:
Code:
iface eth0 inet6 static
        address 2001:xxxx:xxxy:xxxx::2
        netmask 64
        gateway 2001:xxxx:xxxy:xxxx::1

I also requested a /48 for my tunnel. Now if I want to allocate a /64 to each of the vm from my /48 block, should I create a bridge on the hardware node for each /64?

Hello Elgs Qian Chen

I'm playing with Hurricane Electric's IPv6 tunnelbroker and am running Proxmox with a hardware node and multiple vms. Now I managed to allocate IPv6 addresses from my /64 pool to the vms. Here is how I did it:

On Hardware Node:
Code:
auto he-ipv6
    iface he-ipv6 inet6 v4tunnel
           address 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::2
           netmask 64
           endpoint endpoint_ipv4
           local local_ipv4
           ttl 255
           gateway 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::1

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
           address 2001:xxxx:xxxy:xxxx::1
           netmask 64
           gateway 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::2

On VM:
Code:
iface eth0 inet6 static
        address 2001:xxxx:xxxy:xxxx::2
        netmask 64
        gateway 2001:xxxx:xxxy:xxxx::1

I also requested a /48 for my tunnel. Now if I want to allocate a /64 to each of the vm from my /48 block, should I create a bridge on the hardware node for each /64?

Do you mean to assign /64 addresses to the existing /48 (virtual) LAN? In this case you can use the same bridge/NICs.

You can assign as many addresses as you like to one NIC or bridge.

If you think I have misunderstood something give more details about your request (which VMs / host should get which address (in the form xxxy:xxxx as above) )

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

Thanks for the reply Mr.Holmes.I have a routable /48. I want to assign each of my virtual machines with a /64 from my /48.

Thanks for the reply Mr.Holmes.I have a routable /48. I want to assign each of my virtual machines with a /64 from my /48.
This is to much, you just need a /64 for all your VM and need only to assign a /128 to each VM.
You can divide your /48 this way: Assign a /64 to each proxmox node and assign /128 to each vm inside the proxmox node. Unless you are a big ISP, you will have plenty of /64 and /128 left.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!