[SOLVED] HDD readability on fresh install

Maxdiken

Mar 23, 2024
Hello,

I wanted to clarify things in my head because I am unsure how to go about doing a new installation of Proxmox. Basically, in a few months, I am going to upgrade my server and thus do a fresh install of Proxmox on a brand new SSD. Most if not all components of the server will be different, except for my hard drives. My question is, will I be able to simply connect the HDDs to my new server and make them readable without having to format them?

Thank you.

Because when I initially connected my HDDs to my Proxmox server, I had to wipe the disk to initialize it with GPT. So I was wondering if I would need to do it again on a new server.

You take your new server with your new ssd install new proxmox, reboot.
As hdd's are hotplug you can add them host online, data disk no problem but "old OS disk" (ssd, nvme or hdd ?) as you cannot have different type of boot disks or even boot raids ..., so mount old OS disk online, copy what you need, wipe old OS on old OS disk, create new fs onto and you have all your data and all old disks and are save for reboot still ok. :)

Reactions: Maxdiken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!