HDD as additional lvm-thin

shard

Feb 11, 2020
I'm fairly new to proxmox and linux partitions/volumes in general, so there probably is a very simple solution to this that I am missing.

My server has 1x 250GB SSD and 1x 1T HDD. I installed proxmox on the SDD and I'm guessing during installation it created following:

Code:
LV                                         VG  Attr       LSize    Pool Origin                                 Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert

data                                       pve twi-aotz-- <149.34g                                             15.59  1.87                           

root                                       pve -wi-ao----   58.00g   

swap                                       pve -wi-ao----    6.00g

so what I'm assuming happened is that during installation root was created to store OS related files. And additional data was created on the same SSD that can be used for storing VM data and etc. Now I also want to create another lvm-thin like the data that already exists, but since this is an HDD I don't want it to be part of the same VG. How can I make additional "data" that I can pass to VMS together with the local-lvm.

I'm going to answer my own question in case someone in the future finds this post.

What I tried to achieve turned out to be fairly simple. I just had to follow a guide found here to make a regular LVM and then convert it to LVM-Thin using this section found here:
Code:
lvcreate -L 100G -n data pve
lvconvert --type thin-pool pve/data

Because I followed a tutorial my VG ended up being called Data-Storage, so in the section above I had to replace both occurences of pve with Data-Storage. Rest is done via Web UI.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!