HARDWARE Server Inquiry

mobeecloud

Sep 20, 2009
I am thinking is using the HP BL495cG5 or the HP BL495cG6 blade servers for my configuration, do you know if these servers can handle the virtualization

the BL495cG5 runs the AMD Opteron 2300 series processor
and the BL395cG6 runs the Six Core AMD 2400 Series Processor

I am thinking is using the HP BL495cG5 or the HP BL495cG6 blade servers for my configuration, do you know if these servers can handle the virtualization

the BL495cG5 runs the AMD Opteron 2300 series processor
and the BL395cG6 runs the Six Core AMD 2400 Series Processor

Hi,
be sure that the processor are good for virtualisation - all amd64-processors support amd-v (hardwarevirtualisation) and even all of these cpus support ecc-ram.
If you have more vm's running take the hexacore - if the speed of the 2300er are higher and you have only few vm's it's perhaps better to take the quad-core.
With the hp-blades i haven't any experience - but i use proxmox on a sun-blade (with older opterons) without trouble.

Udo

Is there a way to determine or calculate how many VM you can have per blade?
No,
(I, for one don't know it) it's depends on the type of VMs. If you have more with a small footprint, like dhcp-server or small webserver you can use many on them on one host. But if you need more CPU or IO you reach the limit faster...
To play safe, take enough RAM. RAM is very usefull for virtualisation ;-)

Udo

Red Hat Appliance Inquiry

I have a requirement to use RedHat, where do I find a Red Hat Appliance for Proxmox VE or could someone built an appliance with the builder for a fee?

Re: Red Hat Appliance Inquiry

I have a requirement to use RedHat, where do I find a Red Hat Appliance for Proxmox VE or could someone built an appliance with the builder for a fee?

redhat does not allow to distribute binary packages so its not possible to distribute appliances for public use.

and even more important, the main reason to use redhat is there support. but if you run redhat system on a non-redhat kernel (Proxmox VE), you loose the support status as this is an unsupported usage. means you will pay for redhat support and you will not get any...

you should think of that before you spend money for building a redhat appliance (which is possible). maybe its easier you go for existing centos template or even better, use Debian.

I had swtched to Debian instead of RedHat so there is no more issue.

Thanks.

Do you have any procedures for mapping a USB stick on a virtual Debian server?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!