hardware recomendation

raqdedicados

Nov 26, 2008
Hi there

We need to virtualize about 4 servers with some mysql (about 6 DBS' with 400mb each) and mail (moderate) use. Someone know if this will be a good configuration ? or can suggest changes on it

dell 1950iii
2x quad core xeon 2.0
16gb ram with 400gb sas x 2 15k / RAID 1
perc6i sas raid int pcie 256 cache
dual embedded broadcom nextreme 2

Or it will be better

dell 2950
2x quad core xeon 2.0
16gb ram with 250gb sata2 x 4 7.2k / RAID 10

thanks for your great work and also as usual thank u again!

Last edited:
Hi there

We need to virtualize about 4 servers with some mysql (about 6 DBS' with 400mb each) and mail (moderate) use. Someone know if this will be a good configuration ? or can suggest changes on it

dell 1950iii
2x quad core xeon 2.0
16gb ram with 400gb sas x 2 15k / RAID 1

Or it will be better

dell 2950
2x quad core xeon 2.0
16gb ram with 250gb sata2 x 4 7.2k / RAID 10

thanks for your great work and also as usual thank u again!

I vote for the system with SAS drives.

What VM´s do you plan to run on Proxmox VE? KVM guests or OpenVZ containers?

I vote for containers.

Hi!

Don't know if anyone else have seen it, but I couldn't install Proxmox VE 1.1 using a perc6i controller before turning off the write-back cache in the RAID controller. I have three 300GB 15k SAS disks connected to the perc6i. RAID 5 or 1 produced the same result, install getting very slow at about 75-80%, when configuring packages. After that different timeouts happen and it finally fails. I think I was able to produce two working installations from about twenty tests, before turning the cache off. After finally figuring that out everything worked as a charm. After installation the write-back can be turned on again, for better IO speed. At least I haven't noticed anything strange after. The setup is not quite the same as the ones you list above though. I have two PE-2970 with AMD processors and an additional 4-port Intel network card. I must say I'm very impressed with the speed of OpenVZ containers on these two systems now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!