Hard LOCKUP i915 reset GuC -110

jimjam

Mar 2, 2022
I have recently started to use Proxmox to host my Plex server. i915 on my Alder Lake seems to be acting up and I can't seem to find to much information out there on how to fix it.

Setup:
i9-12900K
64GB DDR4 RAM
Proxmox 7.1-11
Kernel 5.15.27-1-pve

Plex is running in a LXC with dev/dri passed through. My configuration looks like this:
Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 10
features: mount=cifs
hostname: plex
memory: 16834
nameserver: 192.168.1.1
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,hwaddr=EE:A0:25:F8:62:BF,ip=dhcp,type=veth
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-105-disk-0,size=250G
searchdomain: 192.168.1.233
swap: 8192
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 226:0 rwm
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 226:128 rwm
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 29:0 rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dri dev/dri none bind,optional,create=dir
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/fb0 dev/fb0 none bind,optional,create=file

I am seeing a lot of different errors, this one pops up the most:

Code:
[i915] *ERROR* Failed to reset GuC, ret = -110
NMI watchdog: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 8
NMI watchdog: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 4

I have also added some screen shots of the other errors as I don't know where these would be logged on the server.

When these errors occur, the entire server is taken down. A hard reset is required to bring it back up. Does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome this?1 (Medium).jpg2 (Medium).jpeg

Last edited:
Does IOMMU need to be enabled to have an LXC utilize the dev/dri device without seeing these errors pop up?
I also have the E-cores disabled in my bios, could this be causing issues?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!