HA - lan disconnect

aroundmyroom

Oct 5, 2020
I understand that as home user of a 3 node proxmox setup I am somewhat different than the pro users.
but I like to play and to understand the features Proxmox is giving me.

I had HA configured with replication of 2 machines and saw how proxmox was handling the priorities, so far all ok for this home situation

Of course HA is telling me that if something is happening to ie. my 3rd node it should do all kinds of things making sure the VM can keep running.

In a specific condition I saw emails coming in with errors about not being able to fence etc, but when looking all was ok, so I thought that I did not configured it well but ah . does not matter .. but last week I noticed why all this is happening

I update my switch with new firmware, the LAN reboots and disconnects the node, causing HA to do its job. (and causing the node to reboot) But the problem is that the other 2 nodes are also on the same switch (home situation as I wrote earlier).

Would there be an option where I can tell HA not to reboot the machine when all nodes have no network?
if not, then the only solution is to remove HA.

But than leaves me the question how useful is than the replication part of the proxmox or is it really thight to HA?

Last edited:
I have 3 HP Gen8 Microservers as node running Proxmox 7 with the supported version of Debian 11 Bullseye
I would be happy if the delay would be ie x minutes before the machine is rebooted or I would be happy if HA can determine that the whole cluster cannot be reached. But I can understand if that is not possible as HA expects probably more switches, but in a home environment a LAN disconnect is less problematic than in real time environments

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!