gui on server

Lambert

Nov 23, 2018
Hi
I did'nt see the answer at this question
is a graphique interface on server proxmox or are we obliged to use a remote PC with web access ?

If yes how can i start it ?
best regards

only web acesss. (or command line on the server)
OK so i can't use this on my PC i should have two machines , the server and client .
may be my question is not good. can i use a VM from the server screen; like i can on HyperV from M$
regards

Last edited:
You most certainly can run a GUI on vms. Use the spice display on the VM and a spice client on the desktop for a good remote desktop experience Here is a windows 7 desktop (2 displays) and a centos 7 desktop running on a Proxmox 5.2 cluster and displaying on a local desktop. These can be made full screen. Quite useful when you need another OS for some specific task.

.Screenshot_20181125_161418-reduced.png

Reactions: Starkoman
You most certainly can run a GUI on vms. Use the spice display on the VM and a spice client on the desktop for a good remote desktop experience Here is a windows 7 desktop (2 displays) and a centos 7 desktop running on a Proxmox 5.2 cluster and displaying on a local desktop. These can be made full screen. Quite useful when you need another OS for some specific task.

.View attachment 8808

I think you missunderstood. OP wants to rub gui on the host not in VMs. Ofcourse you can run fui in vm. But op want to use the same machine for server/vm and workstation.
Possible but not recommended.

Hi Thank's for yours answers
I will look at these
If i can suggest something , for the next release add in the install menu , an option with GUI on server.
If you want to test Proxmox it is good to have all on one PC and not a small architecture with server and client.
and may be a small entry in how-two about this option , i was looking for it

Best regards

Last edited:
HI
i Have look at the doc , but excuse my poor english level , il did'nt see what is stretch ??

regards

Screenshot_20181126_224130.png Hi
I feel good I have my two screen on my desktop, take the hand on proxmox via my firefox web browser and try to use proxmox
I have a lot of thing to learn but it is a pleasure to work with this environment

Last edited:
Neither Hyper-V (not the Hyper-V role on a windows server) nor VMware comes with a GUI on the server.
you are a really joker

HYPERV from M$ come with core version ; no gui just command line and version with Microsoft server and Hyperv with a nice GUI (the windows standard for windows server ) on the machine

Last edited:
HYPERV from M$ come with core version ; no gui just command line and version with Microsoft server and Hyperv with a nice GUI (the windows standard for windows server ) on the machine

That is exactly what I wrote and meant with Hyper-V role, because that's exactly how it is implemented on a windows server.

Every major enterprise operating system is dropping the GUI on servers for many years now and moved towards TUI or remote administration. MS is no exception and they also said that in the end, there will not be any GUI left on the core windows servers, because everything can already be administrated remotely. BTW: I have servers that do not have a graphics card and operate completely headless.

On VMware and especially on Proxmox VE there is no need for a special GUI, because everything works directly inside of a browser, so that you can (in theory, I've never done it) administrate your system on your phone. If you just want to play around with Proxmox VE (not on dedicated hardware), the best way is to use it inside of another hypervisor on your desktop machine (e.g. KVM, Hyper-V, VirtualBox or VMware Workstation).

I found what i need
Suse entreprise server. as M$ it is comming with core install, or GUI (X11 ) with gnome desktop and system applications

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!