Guest VMs & 2 Host NICs on 2 Subnets

gte451f

Mar 16, 2010
I have a host server with two physical nics each on a different subnet....
10.1 & 172.16

Can someone point me to a resource explaining how to get these configured on the Host so that I can tell my VMs (both OpenVZ and KVM) which subnet to join?

I'm reading the wiki article "Network Model" but I'm not sure which way to go. Bridge? VLan?
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model

Do I setup each NIC as show in the screen shot? Do I bond them together?
ProxNetwork1.png

I have a host server with two physical nics each on a different subnet....
10.1 & 172.16

Can someone point me to a resource explaining how to get these configured on the Host so that I can tell my VMs (both OpenVZ and KVM) which subnet to join?

I'm reading the wiki article "Network Model" but I'm not sure which way to go. Bridge? VLan?
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model

Do I setup each NIC as show in the screen shot? Do I bond them together?
View attachment 518
Hi,
bridges are the right way (like you do). But only at vmbr0 you need an ip-adress on the host.
If you have bridges, you can simply use this for the Nic of the VM - it's like an network hub - all interfaces (physically and virtual) on one bridge are connected together.

Udo

Thanks for the tip udo but I'm hung up on something.

I've tried create a debian container (OpenVZ) and attempted to assign it VETH on eth1 using vmbr1 as shown...
CreateContainer.png

But I get this as result...notice vmbr1 (which is assgined to eth1) is actually listed with eth0 here!
Edit Network.png

I've tried to set /etc/network/interfaces with the example shown in the networking model....

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
address 192.168.10.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.10.1
bridge_ports eth1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

But I can't even get the interface to show up ever after rebooting.

looks like there is a confusion about the host and guest network setup.

If you assign one veth (vmbr_x) to your container, you will always see just eth0 inside.

I think I get it, you are saying that from the guests perspective the host eth1 adapter is assigned to the guest as eth0.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!