[SOLVED] grub rescue : proxmox VE won't boot

Y@n`

Mar 26, 2020
Hello everyone,

After a power outage, my home Proxmox 5.2 server won't boot anymore. I end up in GRUB rescue saying :
error : file "/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod" not found

As I asked my good friend Google, I tried different things, here in order :

1) On GRUB rescue, using "insmod zfs", that brings up the same error.

2) Booting from a Proxmox VE install media and pick rescue boot :
error : no such device: rpool.
error : unable to find boot disc automatically

3) Using the installation in debug mode brings me this :
zpool import -a
no pools available to import

Since it's just a home server that runned flawlessly so far, it's a very basic configuration and I've never been too in depth on how to troubleshoots things, so please bear with me.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Yannick.

Hello Wolfgang, thanks for your answer.

You're right, I should check more regularly if there isn't a new version to upgrade to; I'll keep that in mind for the future.

So, I followed your steps, but couldn't mount my /dev/pve/root. I got an error wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/pve-root.

Since it couldn't get much worse and I didn't have much to lose, I tried to fsck it, and it seems my ext4 filesystem got utterly corrupted. It's now empty with a bunch of recovered block in my lost+found directory.

So now I'll just backup my vm's somewhere and reinstall a brand new PVE, with a little bit of luck, I'll be able to recover them undamaged.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!