Grub-rescue after a partition redimension

Jose rodri

Apr 5, 2023
Hello, I have a serious problem, and it is that after resizing a hard disk from the proxmox console, when I restart I get the famous "grub-rescue" lvm not found. I say famous, because I've seen a thousand forums and a thousand solutions that don't work for me. I've tried an installer on a usb, I've read countless threads, and none seem to work for me, either because they don't explain where to enter the commands or because they don't work at all. I would appreciate if you could help me and, if possible, indicating step by step in detail, to rule out things that I do wrong.

I know there are many threads on the same topic, but I can't get any of them to work for me.

I have also tried with Super Grub 2 but can't init proxmox.

Or if I could even somehow extract the virtual machine I had installed, I'd settle.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi yeah,

a colleague of mine recently wrote a little bit about how to fix that over in the Wiki [1]. If you need help with any specific step feel free to ask. But generally you should be able to just open a terminal in your live environment and type in the commands as-is.

[1]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure#Recovering_from_grub_"disk_not_found"_error_when_booting_from_LVM
Thanks for reply!
I'm trying to follow the instructions, which at first glance are super simple, but
in the second line "Run vgscan"... Where? I have tried to execute that command in 10 different terminals between grml, super grub2, the proxmox installer... and nothing comes out.
there are so many options in those recovery tools and no thread says exactly what to do...

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks again

Ok so once you booted into grml, it should just give you a prompt. There you need to first set your keyboard style and the press “q” (it should show you what you need to do in a welcome message). At least in the version that I had lying around here. Then it should show you a prompt that looks like this root@grml ~ $. Once you see that you should be able to just type vgscan and hit enter. It should say something like “Found volume group "pve" using metadata type lvm2”. Then you just proceed with the steps outlined in the wiki. Does that work for you or do you need more details?

Last edited:
Ok so once you booted into grml, it should just give you a prompt. There you need to first set your keyboard style and the press “q” (it should show you what you need to do in a welcome message). At least in the version that I had lying around here. Then it should show you a prompt that looks like this root@grml ~ $. Once you see that you should be able to just type vgscan and hit enter. It should say something like “Found volume group "pve" using metadata type lvm2”. Then you just proceed with the steps outlined in the wiki. Does that work for you or do you need more details?
Thanks again. then the error has to be somewhere else... I may have been putting the commands in the right places but there is no response. attached image.

IMG_20230405_121926_2.jpg

"vgscan" does not give any response

Hm interesting, what does vgs report?

Ok can you run pvscan --cache --aay and then run pvs and vgs again. In theory you should be able to see the "pve" VG then.

Can you also elaborate on which disk you resized and how?

I had 3 hard drives of 1TB each, two of them had a bridge to a virtual Windows. I wanted to clone the HDD where proxmox is to a 1TB SSD but it didn't fit on the SSD because it has few GB less. I resized the 900GB partition of the proxmox HDD to clone that partition and make it fit on the SDD. I did it from the proxmox console with fdisk. I rebooted and the grub_rescue is already out.

IMG_20230410_084218.jpg

the pvs command does not give any information either.
sorry for taking so long to respond, it was a holiday and the nextmox is at my workplace.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!