GRUB errors & HP Servers

Harlin

Dec 19, 2019
I have recently installed PVE 6 on a HP proliant DL360e Gen8, 2 Drives with a ZFS pool. Multiple reboots worked fine and the server would restart correctly then I upgraded it to 6.1 after the upgrade the server would not boot - the error

"
error: no such device: (hex)
error: unknown filesystem.
"

So i researched the issue on Google and the Proxmox Forum and i tried all suggested solutions - but still the system would not Boot

So i took the 2 drives and put them into a standard workstation, with an UEFI bios, i got a new error on boot "no root device specified" - i google and researched again and found that this is also a problem

Finally i put the Drives onto a HP ML130 here the System brought up the Blue Grub menu and bootup just fine (I had to re-import the ZFS pool but all was fine)

I then tried to stick the system back into the Workstation with UEFI and we are back to the Error -
I then tried the HP Proliant Server and also back to the same error

_________

Since the system is stable after an intial installation - Is it not possible to recreate the same Grub or bootloader install seqeunce from the installer whenever an Upgrade is carried out - Or is not possible to re-run the bootloader install sequence now to repair the system ?

or what mode does the HP Proliant Bios run in (Legacy or UEFI) and is there any way to change this to Legacy ?

Hi!

Have you been able to make this work? What drives are you using exactly? There has been some work with ZFS and UEFI for 6.0 but not much for 6.1.

Hello -

No I was not able to make this work i had to rebuild the system. What worked was setting the BIOS to SATA mode installing the system, during the install Proxmox saw both drives but then after a few restarts the system reported that the rpool was in a degraded state. Then on the next restart the system would not start with the error failed to locate root partition. I then went in to the BIOS and set the controller to RAID mode and rebooted with only 1 drive and the system booted -

I am currently trying to figure out how to put the 2 drive online and rebuild the pool (am not comfortable running on 1 drive)

What work has been done on ZFS in 6.0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!