GPU passthrough problems

PeterMarcusH.

Apr 5, 2019
Hello guys,
I'm new to Proxmox, and been working with it for about a week now. I've recently built my home server and wanted to host linux and windows VM's for my friends and family. Since im still at school and my earring are not that high, it saddens me that I can't seem to use my GPU in windows or linux VM's...proxmox seems just to keep spinning or won't start :/.

-PC/Server specs:
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR OC - 8GB GDDR5
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboad: MSI B450i GAMING PLUS AC - AMD

-What I've tried:
Tried, under the hardware tab to simply add GPU and run the VM (Tasks list at bottom keeps spinning)
Follow wiki via terminal (various Error: failed at something)

- Am I missing something?
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 17.24.20.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 17.24.20.png
    285.1 KB · Views: 44
You need to pass through everything on the GPU, i.e. the audio part as well.
so f1:00.0 and f1:00.1 as they are on the same pci group.

Make sure u've read a few guides on how to do it under normal linux (Ubuntu or Debian) and make sure they are from this side of 2018/19 as some of the guides are very out of data and talk about ubuntu 14.xx
That why you will know where to look for log files and what to watch out for.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for replying James and n1nj4888. I've tried your suggestion and added the addition and read through your link n1nj4888, but I still seem to have problems :/. I'm adding some images to maybe have you see what im doing wrong. Thank you.

Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 23.36.11.png Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 23.37.25.png Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 23.38.22.png Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 23.38.50.png

Last edited:
what is the exact error message? please post the complete task log

Hello again guys, i've managed to launch windows with (what seems like no errros), but cant seem to view the console now?...I just get the "Failed to connect to server"

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    105.4 KB · Views: 20
Hello again guys, i've managed to launch windows with (what seems like no errros), but cant seem to view the console now?...I just get the "Failed to connect to server"
A) what did you change, so others can get help from your issue.
B) the console as in through proxmox ? That's expected as the video card is the primary video output, u have to either plug a monitor into he card, or RDP to it.

I used to also pass thought a normal video feed and set it all up first, so I could install and setup everything first.

Hello James :),
Thank you for your answer! My solution ended up being ditching my Ryzen(AMD) CPU and exchange it for a intel cpu and following the same steps again? :confused:...sorry the bad solution. The whole purpose/mission of my GPU passethrough was just to get a more smooth VM. I was hoping my console windows in the webGUI would be alot more smooth? Even now, im still wondering if i somehow can pump up the visual performance of a VM? (mouse speed delay, opening winodows delay and so on)?

-would you know about this?

What are you using for controlling the console ? I've found spice was very quick, which is one of the options in proxmox

I've tryed that before, and get the following?
U need to make sure the drivers for it are installed on the guest. Before you switch over to a spice display.

I think once U've installed the OS, u change to the spice display boot into safe mode and install the driver.

There should be a guide on the wiki

U need to make sure the drivers for it are installed on the guest. Before you switch over to a spice display.

I think once U've installed the OS, u change to the spice display boot into safe mode and install the driver.

There should be a guide on the wiki
Thank you james! I'll try it out .)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!