[TUTORIAL] GPU Passthrough on Proxmox VE - OpenBSD 7.3 (Part. 03x04)

asded

Sep 2, 2022
France
asded.fr
This is the fourth in a series of five articles covering the installation and configuration of VMs (Linux, Windows, macOS and BSD) in PCI Passthrough on Proxmox VE 8. I recommend you read my previous article on Installing OpenBSD 7.3 on Proxmox (BIOS/UEFI) where I go into more detail on different methods of installing OpenBSD, and give a brief overview of its compatibility with Cloud-init.

- Part 0-4 PCI/GPU Passthrough on Proxmox VE Installation and configuration (Part. 00x04)
- Part 1-4 PCI/GPU Passthrough on Proxmox VE: Windows 10,11 (Part. 01x04)
- Part 2-4 PCI/GPU Passthrough on Proxmox VE: Debian 12 (Part. 02x04)
- Part 3-4 PCI/GPU Passthrough on Proxmox VE: OpenBSD 7.3 (Part. 03x04)
- Part 4-4 PCI/GPU Passthrough on Proxmox VE: macOS Montrey (Part. 04x04)

In this article, we'll explore together how to easily create and deploy a VM with a full desktop (under Mate), using an unofficial OpenBSD image adapted to Cloud-init, while benefiting from good graphics acceleration thank of GPU Passthrough.

- Original article (FR) on my website
- YouTube video

Creating our OpenBSD template​

Code:
 qm create 112
    --name obsd-ci
    --agent 1,type=isa \
    --memory 4096
    --bios seabios
    --boot order='scsi0' \
    --sockets 1 --cores 4 \
    --net0 virtio,bridge=vmbr0 \
    --sshkey /root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub \
    --ide0 local-lvm:cloudinit \
    --scsihw virtio-scsi-pci \
    --boot order='scsi0' \
    --serial0 socket
    --vga serial0
    --usb0 046d:c08b,usb3=1 \
    --usb1 04ca:007d,usb3=1

Explanations:

- sshkey /root/.ssh/id\_rsa.pub : We import our SSH key, which will give us access to the VM (we'll see why this access is important).
- serial0 socket & vga serial0: set the default display on the serial console output (default configuration for cloud-init).
- boot order='scsi0': This defines the boot order on the OpenBSD cloud image, which we will then import into our configuration.
- ide0 local-lvm:cloudinit : Cloud-init disk location.
- usb0 and usb0: correspond to the USB id's of my keyboard and mouse, which I retrieved from the hypervisor with "lsusb".

I import the disk image from bsd-cloud-image:

Code:
wget -P /mnt/pve/PVE1/template/iso https://object-storage.public.mtl1.vexxhost.net/swift/v1/1dbafeefbd4f4c80864414a441e72dd2/bsd-cloud-image.org/images/openbsd/7.3/2023-04-22/ufs/openbsd-7.3-2023-04-22.qcow2

and set the image on the QEMU configuration:

Code:
qm set 112 --scsi0 local-lvm:0,import-from=/mnt/pve/PVE1/template/iso/openbsd-7.3-2023-04-22.qcow2

then resize the image:

Code:
qm resize 112 scsi0 +20G

Cloud-init configuration​

it's important to have several points in mind before going any further with this image:

- To be consistent with Cloud-Init, sudo is enabled by default for the user 'openbsd' (doas is still available though).
- When generating a new user with Cloud-init, this will only work partially: the user will be created, but the hash of his password (in SHA-256) will not be correctly interpreted by OpenBSD, which has been using a different hash algorithm for some versions now, namely bcrypt. That's why we'll just use the default user 'openbsd'.

- On the other hand, if we change the configuration on the cloud-init disk, even after re-generating it, OpenBSD will not automatically update the new configuration.
- Also, at the moment, there doesn't seem to be a solution yet for managing audio output from HDMI, so I'm not burdening my configuration with additional packages like PulseAudio, pavucontrol, ....

- Finally, we won't be able to add the graphics card to our template. Without the right drivers, the VM will fail to start.

Well, the aim now is to create a Cloud-init configuration file, with these elements in mind. A few explanations are in order:

- We're not going to define any new users; we'll keep the default openbsd.
- We move on to defining the timezone and keyboard layout in azerty.
- We add the AMD drivers for the graphics card (it will be added to the configuration later).
- Install a few useful packages, the qemu-agent and the Mate desktop environment.
- Adapt the QEMU agent's behavior for the ISA serial port.
- As this OpenBSD image doesn't have a display server, we'll need to install it. However, due to the way OpenBSD is designed, we can't do this via a simple pkg\_add, so we're going to import the xserv73 archive from the official OpenBSD repositories.
- We configure the latest services and configuration files for X11 and Mate.

Code:
cat << EOF >> /mnt/pve/PVE1/snippets/ci-obsd73-xbase-gpu.yaml
#cloud-config

runcmd:
  - ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Paris /etc/localtime
  - echo "keyboard.encoding=en" >> /etc/wsconsctl.conf
  - fw_update amdgpu
  - pkg_add -U qemu-ga avahi
  - pkg_add -U mate-desktop mate-notification-daemon mate-terminal mate-panel mate-session-manager mate-icon-theme mate-control-center gnome-colors-icon-theme mate-calc caja caja-extensions pluma atril eom gnome-system-monitor mate-utils mate-media engrampa dconf-editor ghostscript-10.01.1
  - echo "pkg_scripts=qemu_ga" >> /etc/rc.conf.local
  - echo 'qemu_ga_flags="-t /var/run/qemu-ga -m isa-serial -p /dev/cua01 -f /var/run/qemu-ga/qemu-ga.pid"' >> /etc/rc.conf.local
  - /etc/rc.d/qemu_ga stop && /etc/rc.d/qemu_ga start
  - ftp -o /tmp/xserv73.tgz https://ftp.fr.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/7.3/amd64/xserv73.tgz 
  - tar xzvphf /tmp/xserv73.tgz
  - rcctl enable xenodm
  - rcctl enable messagebus
  - rcctl enable avahi_daemon
  - rcctl enable multicast
  - usermod -G operator openbsd
  - echo "LANG=en_FR.UTF-8" >> /home/openbsd/.xsession
  - echo "LC_TYPE=en_FR.UTF-8" >> /home/openbsd/.xsession
  - echo "LC_ALL=en_FR.UTF-8" >> /home/openbsd/.xsession
  - echo "exec ck-launch-session mate-session" >> /home/openbsd/.xsession
EOF

To pass the configuration to our VM we enter the command:

Code:
qm set 112 --cicustom "vendor=PVE1:snippets/ci-obsd73-xbase-gpu.yaml"

We start the VM, leaving the initialization process running (you can check progress via Proxmox's noVNC console):

Code:
qm start 112

Once initialization is complete, we connect via SSH (with user openbsd) to our VM to reset the Cloud-init configuration:

Code:
ssh openbsd@XXX.XXX.XX.XX
# once connected to the VM 
rm -f /var/log/cloud-init.log && rm -Rf /var/lib/cloud/*

Now shutting down the VM and, before moving on to template conversion, I add the graphics card to the configuration:

Code:
qm shutdown 112
qm set 112 --hostpci0 0000:01:00,x-vga=1
qm template 112

Deployment from template​

Now all you have to do is clone our OpenBSD template for each new VM.

Code:
qm clone 112 113 --full 1 --name obsd-mate

Now that we've "reset" our previous cloud-init configuration, we can add new parameters for the clone

Code:
qm set 113 --ipconfig0 ip=192.168.2.76/24,gw=192.168.2.1 --sshkey /PATH/TO/ANOTHER/id_rsa.pub
qm start 113

As we saw earlier, adding a user directly from Cloud-init remains problematic, which is why I recommended you stick with the default user 'openbsd'. Simply go through SSH to define a new password, before connecting to the Mate session.

Ressources :​

- https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/qm.1.html
- https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/VM\_Templates\_and\_Clones
- https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/7.3/amd64/INSTALL.amd64
- https://bsd-cloud-image.org
- https://www.openbsd.org/papers/bcrypt-paper.pdf
- https://cloudinit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference/examples.html

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!