GPU passthrough no longer works after VM restart

danman

Jun 5, 2021
Hey

I'm trying to pass the GPU to a vm which I am using for my TV. It works after a complete reboot of the server, but my weekly backup (stop) prevents the GPU from passing through again afterwards.

Does anyone has this already running?

This happens to some GPUs when they do not reset properly. If you have an AMD GPU, manually building and installing vendor-reset might help. I believe the latest generation of AMD and NVidia GPUs have reset working much better.

I have a GIGABYTE GeForce GTS 450 OC 1GB.
Is there also a workaround for Nvidea cards?

Edit:
It is not really solved. I just decided not to stop the vm when I do the backup.

Last edited:
Happy New Year!

I've decided to get a new card for a little bit of gaming (like Hacker Simulator) and mainly for the reset problem. Actually nothing super fancy but I have also two cards in mind which are a little bit more expensive/powerful - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC ULTRA and PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6600 Fighter.

Or just the GIGABYTE GT 730 2GB GDDR5. Anyone having experience with some of them?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!