[SOLVED] Ghost files in PVE cluster FS

marinbernard

Jan 2, 2019
Nice, FR
Hi,

I'm running a freshly installed & up-to-date 3-node Proxmox VE 5.3 cluster. Everything was fine until I tried to deploy custom SSL certificates for the web UI.

The process detailed in the documentation implies to add new files (pveproxy-ssl.pem & pveproxy-ssl.key) to the /etc/pve/nodes/<nodename>/ directory.

I did so on the two first nodes, and it worked fine. But on the third one, I made a mistake and misnamed the file hosting the private key: i named it pveproxy.key instead of pveproxy-ssl.key. Apparently, the PVE cluster file system did not expect such a filename, and refuses to remove it.

It is listed in ls output:
Code:
root@pve-02:/etc/pve/nodes/pve-02# ls
lrm_status  lxc  openvz  preproxy.key  priv  pve-ssl.key  pve-ssl.pem  qemu-server

but when I try to remove it, I get:

Code:
root@pve-02:/etc/pve/nodes/pve-02# rm pveproxy.key
rm: cannot remove 'pveproxy.key': No such file or directory

There's worse: I then tried to generate a new CSR with the correct file name. Again, the file is listed in ls, but I'm unable to access it.

What I tried:
  • Remove the files from another node. It failed the same way as on the main node.
  • Reboot the node. No change.
  • Stop the cluster service and mount pmxcfs locally. Still no access to the files.
I compared the versions of config.db between the 3 nodes and they seem identical (did not compare actual data, only metadata). What can I do next ? Did anyone ever experiment such a problem ?

Thanks in advance!

Marin.

Reactions: marinbernard
First off, the documentation you referring to is old and not valid for PVE 5.3. See here for details. https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_certificate_management

Thanks. I'll use pvenode in the future.

And your file is named 'preproxy.key' but you try to remove 'rm pveproxy.key'.

I made a typing mistake. The command I ran had the correct file name (in fact, I used autocompletion, which does see the ghost file, while rm does not).

Any idea about how I can remove those files before I start again using pvenode ?

Thanks. I'll use pvenode in the future.

I made a typing mistake. The command I ran had the correct file name (in fact, I used autocompletion, which does see the ghost file, while rm does not).

Any idea about how I can remove those files before I start again using pvenode ?

Well, I tried to remove the files again, and it worked. I still don't understand why.

Thanks anyway!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!