Getting Proxmox to boot off of M.2 nvme ssd

dantelogan

Oct 24, 2022
So i recently acquired an old Lenovo M series SFF pc and wanted to use it for my Proxmox install. I had a a PCie m.2 adapter that i put a WD 256gb m.2 nvme drive on and was able to install proxmox on it.

However when the system reboot I realized that it wasn't seeing the nvme drive. After doings some research i realized that I could possible sue clover to boot off of the nvme drive. However after lashing it onto a usb drive it still does not recognize the nvme nor does it see proxmox.

I dug around and still couldn't find the nvme.efi driver anywhere. If anyone could help would be great.

NVMe works fine as an installation target, we got lots of users with that. There was only an issue with ZFS on NVMe/UEFI, but that got fixed with Proxmox VE 6.0, which was released over three years ago..

What exact m.2 adapter are you using? One connected via USB? As those normally have their own SSD controller and re-expose the disk via UAS (USB Attached SCSI), so it would pop up as /dev/sdX, possibly also as removable, which the installer filters out.

Check lsblk -o +MODEL output inside the installer, for example by using the Advanced mode's second shell (not the first limited one in initramfs/busybox stage).

NVMe works fine as an installation target, we got lots of users with that. There was only an issue with ZFS on NVMe/UEFI, but that got fixed with Proxmox VE 6.0, which was released over three years ago..

What exact m.2 adapter are you using? One connected via USB? As those normally have their own SSD controller and re-expose the disk via UAS (USB Attached SCSI), so it would pop up as /dev/sdX, possibly also as removable, which the installer filters out.

Check lsblk -o +MODEL output inside the installer, for example by using the Advanced mode's second shell (not the first limited one in initramfs/busybox stage).
So i am using a this adpater https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JJTVGZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!