Getting off after backup

Syahwanius

Feb 15, 2021
I have an issue, everytime backup data (and restart) sometimes the vm was off or should be start manually, but i got error like this on my task
Code:
Formatting '/var/lib/vz/images/107/vm-107-disk-2.qcow2', fmt=qcow2 cluster_size=65536 preallocation=metadata compression_type=zlib size=53687091200 lazy_refcounts=off refcount_bits=16
Formatting '/var/lib/vz/images/107/vm-107-disk-3.qcow2', fmt=qcow2 cluster_size=65536 preallocation=metadata compression_type=zlib size=107374182400 lazy_refcounts=off refcount_bits=16
QEMU: kvm: cannot set up guest memory 'pc.ram': Cannot allocate memory

TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

Regards,

Syahwanius

Hi,

how much memory has the Proxmox VE host and how many is allocated to this and other VMs?

As this sounds like RAM is 100% provisioned if not even a little over provisioned.

Hi,

how much memory has the Proxmox VE host and how many is allocated to this and other VMs?

As this sounds like RAM is 100% provisioned if not even a little over provisioned.
Hi, Thank You for your replay
This is my spec and current disk free space
Specsificatio.png
Storage.png

Regards,

Syahwanius

Following ram is currently used on vm
Free RAM.png
For webinterface
Webterface.png

Regards,

Syahwanius

Last edited:
Yeah, your host has 15 GiB (probably close to 16 GiB) of RAM memory plus 3.8 of slower SWAP available, and you want to give the VM 16 GiB, that cannot really work.
The host also needs a bit of memory and constantly swapping gets really slow and in your case even SWAP wasn't enough as the cannot set up guest memory 'pc.ram': Cannot allocate memory error message only gets outputed when there isn't enough memory for QEMU, so there was not the 16 GiB available you configured it to use.

Solution: Configure the VM to use less memory, in your case it would not go higher than 14 GiB.

Yeah, your host has 15 GiB (probably close to 16 GiB) of RAM memory plus 3.8 of slower SWAP available, and you want to give the VM 16 GiB, that cannot really work.
The host also needs a bit of memory and constantly swapping gets really slow and in your case even SWAP wasn't enough as the cannot set up guest memory 'pc.ram': Cannot allocate memory error message only gets outputed when there isn't enough memory for QEMU, so there was not the 16 GiB available you configured it to use.

Solution: Configure the VM to use less memory, in your case it would not go higher than 14 GiB.
Hey, Thanks for your replay
So VM using 16GiB ram cannot really work?
at the moment you said the host also need a bit of memory
i need to reduce the memory or make swap higher?

Regards,

Syahwanius

So VM using 16GiB ram cannot really work?
Your host has barely 16GiB, so no cannot really work.

i need to reduce the memory or make swap higher?
I'd reduce memory, higher swap may work in theory but is really slow and will make other problems.
If, I'd add swap in the VM, as then the VM OS knows that this is swap and slow.

Your host has barely 16GiB, so no cannot really work.

I'd reduce memory, higher swap may work in theory but is really slow and will make other problems.
If, I'd add swap in the VM, as then the VM OS knows that this is swap and slow.
Hmm, okay, that mean your solution was reduce the memory on vm and raise ram on swap (or stay on 3.8) even will make other problems?

Solution which works is: set VM memory to no more than 14 GiB
Hello thomas, i have an other issue after booting and should start manually but this time show other error

Code:
VM 118 not running
TASK ERROR: Failed to run vncproxy.

Is it okay if i disable KVM Hardware Virtualization or have any impact?

Regards,

Syahwanius

Is it okay if i disable KVM Hardware Virtualization or have any impact?
The error here is not the real error, just from the VNC viewer which tried to connect but the VM is not started.

Did you try to start it manually, and if there's an error please post the log from the start task.

The error here is not the real error, just from the VNC viewer which tried to connect but the VM is not started.

Did you try to start it manually, and if there's an error please post the log from the start task.
I see, yep i do it manually but on option i already set start at boot was yes and still not working
following this the task
taskerror.png

Last edited:
It seems to all work now or?
  1. 08:10:34: Console fails, as VM is still stopped.
  2. 08:10:35: You manually start VM 118, Task OK
  3. 08:10:36: Console Task now also OK
Regarding on-boot start. In the Nodes task history there should be a Task for starting all on boot, like:
Screenshot_2021-02-18 nina - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png

Do you have such a task and is that VM mentioned in there?

Regarding on-boot start. In the Nodes task history there should be a Task for starting all on boot, like:
View attachment 23776

Hmm, that's normal if i start manually, does any idea to make it automatically? in that case i didn't set start/shutdown order (just set default order=any)viewall.png
and after booting my firewall was getting on tho, any solution? for start manually it was happen everyday (after backup)

View attachment 23776

hmmm

update.png

it happened again, any solution?

As already asked, where's your "Start all VMs and Containers" task, that one takes care of the "onboot" setting.

Is the "Start on boot" option really set on the VM? Should look like:

1613712061926.png

So was a "Start all VMs and Containers" task started or not?

Can you please copy over the output of following command run on the Proxmox VE node as root?
Bash:
pvenode task list --typefilter startall

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!