Geographical Fail over system

proxenjoy

Jul 31, 2024
Heey I am a newbie to the community, so sorry if it sounds stupid,

I have set up an HA proxmox cluster with three zimaboards on my local network that run a couple of VM's in failover mode. Now, the problem is this. When my house lits fire the whole system will collapse. Or when my router or switch stops working, since I only have one switch and one router connected to the internet

Question: Is it possible to setup a system in which even if my home HA cluster brakes down, that the system starts to run on a different geographical location ?

Maybe a VM on site A as the master site that is in rsync with a VM on site B ? Then if site A drops out the DNS that points first to site A will automatically point to site B ? Then the only data loss will be the time inbetween the last sync and the system failure.

Or maybe by using a VPN connection to create a HA cluster with two nodes at site A and the third at site B ?

Another idea I thought would be to have an PBS server on site B that syncs every x minutes with site A. Then maybe a script can be written if site B fails to backup A that it will automatically spin up the VM's that it failed to backup and change the DNS to site B ?

Thank you for reading!!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!