Generic Solution when install gets FrameBuffer Mode Fails

MrPete

Aug 6, 2021
I was installing VE 7.2 on my brand new host box... first ran into black screen after install begins -- see separate thread on that.

Then, install failed, with the X server conking out before anything graphical happened. Here's the generic solution:

* hit ctrl-alt-F2 to see errors from the install (and ctrl-alt-F1 to get back to the console ;) )
* most likely your video device is not being properly handled.... here's how to find it and force generic VGA support..

# lspci| grep -i vga

This should show the vga compatible display device. If not, just look at lspci. (If you see no device, look elsewhere for help. This thread won't do it.)
For me, my nVidia card is 01:00.0

My particular error was: Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices

Create a driver description file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
Like this: (I called mine driver-nvidia.conf)

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "fbdev"
    BusID "pci0:01:0:0:"
EndSection

Then restart X
# xinit -- -dpi 96 >/dev/tty2 2>&1

A couple of blinks and the first install script was on screen! (EULA accept box)

Last edited:
Reactions: leesteken

lholt

Aug 5, 2022
I was installing VE 7.2 on my brand new host box... first ran into black screen after install begins -- see separate thread on that.

Then, install failed, with the X server conking out before anything graphical happened. Here's the generic solution:

* hit ctrl-alt-F2 to see errors from the install (and ctrl-alt-F1 to get back to the console ;) )
* most likely your video device is not being properly handled.... here's how to find it and force generic VGA support..

# lspci| grep -i vga

This should show the vga compatible display device. If not, just look at lspci. (If you see no device, look elsewhere for help. This thread won't do it.)
For me, my nVidia card is 01:00.0

My particular error was: Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices

Create a driver description file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
Like this: (I called mine driver-nvidia.conf)

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "fbdev"
    BusID "pci0:01:0:0:"
EndSection

Then restart X
# xinit -- -dpi 96 >/dev/tty2 2>&1

A couple of blinks and the first install script was on screen! (EULA accept box)
Created an account just to thank you for this post! Very helpful.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!