Generic Solution when install gets FrameBuffer Mode Fails

heyy i have the same issue but can someone explain to me more clear how I'm supposed to do this whole process where i should put this code:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "fbdev"
BusID "pci0:01:0:0:"
EndSection
in proxmox or in windows on cmd cause im get lost
and if someone have a video explanation I Would really apriciate that

Last edited:
heyy i have the same issue but can someone explain to me more clear how I'm supposed to do this whole process where i should put this code:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "fbdev"
EndSection
in proxmox or in windows on cmd cause im get lost
and if someone have a video explanation I Would really apriciate that
Read the openings post, it need be placed in "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/" (you can make the file with eg "Nano" but there are more editors, use the one which you know best )
use by BusID the result from your lspci request

EDIT: Always check that you type everything correctly. After trying for good 10 times and failing every time, frustrated I went letter by letter slowly again, and I figured out I remembered the config file name incorrectly. Please ignore me here. Everything works as expected. Thank you!

So I was able to set this up, and everything worked exactly as described. I got into the installation!
Then selecting drives came up, and instead of all my drives, I was presented with a choice between SSD1 or SSD2, which are supposed to be a part of Hardware RAID1 config. I've read stuff online, decided to give zfs a try, rebooted, removed ALL my RAID configuration from the BIOS and started over.

Now I can't get this thing to work again. I'm following the exact same steps as before, to the dot, but now my X server just never starts. With the exact same error message as before. "Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs."

I'm at a loss here. I'm trying to install this on AMD Ryzen 9 7900X so my understanding is this CPU is just too new for the kernel, but I had the setup run once successfully. Only because I had to disable the hardware RAID configuration I had to reboot, and I can't get the damn thing to get into the setup again.
Could the RAID config be a factor in any way here?

Last edited:
Reactions: MrPete
EDIT: Always check that you type everything correctly. After trying for good 10 times and failing every time, frustrated I went letter by letter slowly again, and I figured out I remembered the config file name incorrectly. Please ignore me here. Everything works as expected. Thank you!

So I was able to set this up, and everything worked exactly as described. I got into the installation!
Then selecting drives came up, and instead of all my drives, I was presented with a choice between SSD1 or SSD2, which are supposed to be a part of Hardware RAID1 config. I've read stuff online, decided to give zfs a try, rebooted, removed ALL my RAID configuration from the BIOS and started over.

Now I can't get this thing to work again. I'm following the exact same steps as before, to the dot, but now my X server just never starts. With the exact same error message as before. "Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs."

I'm at a loss here. I'm trying to install this on AMD Ryzen 9 7900X so my understanding is this CPU is just too new for the kernel, but I had the setup run once successfully. Only because I had to disable the hardware RAID configuration I had to reboot, and I can't get the damn thing to get into the setup again.
Could the RAID config be a factor in any way here?
Why don't you start a new thread....provide your setup etc...

Hello! After writing the section code, how can I save it? Pressed ESC key and it keep in the code edit. Thanks

Hello! After writing the section code, how can I save it? Pressed ESC key and it keep in the code edit. Thanks
Depending on which text editor you used. If you went by the Youtube guide and used vi - it's ESC, ; (semicolon), then type wq (w - write changes; q - exit) and enter.

Thanks so much, I want to add that in my case, I had to run the "xinit" command in the first terminal, otherwise the proxmox installer wouldn't display.

Reactions: mk-avm
I was also concerned if Proxmox works with Tomahawk z690 and Aorus z690 with Raptor Lake CPUs and it works perfectly fine. The problem was the BusID. I followed this step by step guide to solve it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6fRTpmmuHs&t=2s
Used the YT video on my Beelink S12 Pro (N100) and it worked as well. Was beating my head into a wall trying the steps over and over again until I realized that the folder name is capitalized for X11 (/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/P).. once I sorted that it worked like a champ.

Thanks for that solution. It does result in GUI and installation completes. However, once it does and informes it will reboot in few seconds, the GUI drops to command line. After that, ctrl+D reboots the machine, but the disk chosen for installation remains not bootable (I tried, ZFS, BTRFS and ETX4). So the end result is Proxmox still cannot be installed.
Sounds like you have other issues. If I had to guess, please ensure your BIOS/UEFI is set to actually boot from the disk you chose to install on! That's outside the purview of proxmox ;)

Used the YT video on my Beelink S12 Pro (N100) and it worked as well. Was beating my head into a wall trying the steps over and over again until I realized that the folder name is capitalized for X11 (/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/P).. once I sorted that it worked like a champ.
Damn - you've saved me going insane. I was using a lowercase 'x' too.

Hi all. Thanks to this thread, I have managed to get past the black screen on PVE 8.1 installer, using lspci to lookup the VGA controller BusID and then configuring it in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-quirks.conf. Thanks @logics for your great advice!

But... I never got further. Managed to fully install Proxmox VE 8.1 on that legacy server, but after first boot, it gets stuck again in black screen, shortly after Grub menu, as described here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/b...mox-ve-8-1-installer-boot.137408/#post-612579
From there, I can't use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to switch to any terminal.

I really need to get a solution for this, as currently 4 of my servers are affected and they should still run in production for some more years. I know, it's quite legacy hardware (all 4 identical Thomas-Krenn Dual-CPU RI2108, Supermicro X9DRW-3LN4F+, 2x 6-Core Xeon E5-2630), but I still find perfect use for them.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I was installing VE 7.2 on my brand new host box... first ran into black screen after install begins -- see separate thread on that.

Then, install failed, with the X server conking out before anything graphical happened. Here's the generic solution:

1) Hit ctrl-alt-F2 to see the error screen from the install (and ctrl-alt-F1 to get back to the console ;) )

My particular error was: Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices

2) (Most likely your video device is not being properly handled) Here's how to find it and force generic VGA support..

This should show the vga compatible display device. If not, just look at lspci. (If you see no device, look elsewhere for help. This thread won't do it.) For me, my nVidia card is 01:00.0

3) Create a driver description file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
Like this: (I called mine driver-nvidia.conf)

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "fbdev"
EndSection

4) Then restart X

A couple of blinks and the first install script was on my screen! (EULA accept box)
Help me, please. I don’t know how to convert busID in PCI. My busID 11:04.0

Help me, please. I don’t know how to convert busID in PCI. My busID 11:04.0
I just followed the example of the original post: their busID was 01:00.0, and they used "pci0:01:0:0:" in their config file. I think mine was 4:04.0 and I used "pci0:04:04:0:" and it worked for me. Yours would probably be "pci0:11:04:0:"?

I encountered another problem after the installation. Though I can boot into pve and the web interface works, the screen is fully black.
You mean the screen is fully black on the monitor connected directly to the server? Mine worked following the instructions in the original post (fresh install of 8.1-1 download). All that the screen should show on the directly attached monitor is a PVE login prompt (text display, not GUI). Do you have more than one video adapter on your system?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!