Gateways of VMs

ekwb

Sep 1, 2019
I am currently having trouble setting up networking on my ubuntu server. The autoconfiguration by dhcp failed during installation, so I have to statically configure my network using netplan YAML files. I have two bridges setup, vmbr0, which is used by my main node, and vmbr1, which is used by ubuntu. Here is ubuntu's yaml configuration:
Code:
network:
    version: 2
    renderer: networkd
    ethernets:
        ens18:
            dhcp4: no
            addresses: [10.0.1.101/24, ]
            gateway4: 10.0.1.1
            nameservers:
                addresses: [8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4]
Should I configure the gateway as the node's ip, 10.0.1.100, or the node's default gateway, 10.0.1.1?

Hello from France,

No there are a difference between a vm and a node.
The node is a host that can handle many of things like vms, lxcs, and other other things....
On that node, you can build vm which is really isolated from the host.

So, you have two systems that are logically separated, and from there, you begin to understand what to set up

As advid said, it's your gateway address.
Forget the node!
But, fore me you should take a care of what you're doing there...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!