Funding features for Proxmox

starnetwork

Renowned Member
Dec 8, 2009
I have an idea that can help reinforce the Proxmox VE with new features and also to reward developers who do amazing work for the community
1. you add list of features that relevant to the community with the target price for each feature (I think the cost will be calculation of estimated working time for feature)
2. users from the community "donating" for features that interest them
3. some nice page show who contributed to a feature and how much money (if the donor wants to display himself on the list) or anonymously and how much money is missing for the the feature

I believe it will encourage the donations and strengthen the development team significantly more than today.

I'd love to get your feedback to the idea

Best Regards,
Star Network.

I believe it will encourage the donations and strengthen the development team significantly more than today.

Unfortunately, the amount of donations dropped to 'zero' in the last months. So I do not believe that such 'donation' system makes any sense.

If someone wants that we implement a specific feature we can make a commercial offer - just contact us.

Hi Dietmar,
Sad to read this, but I believe that it can Improve the situation significantly.

Would love to hear more opinions from the community members...

Best Regards,
Star Network.

Maybe do that, but link it in to http://www.kickstarter.com/ That way it only gets funded if enough donations go in.

I just purchased a support subscription to help development, but would also donate to the right features.

Maybe do that, but link it in to http://www.kickstarter.com/ That way it only gets funded if enough donations go in.

I just purchased a support subscription to help development, but would also donate to the right features.

OO-Dragon, It's very kind of you
but I agree that it more convenient and easy to donate When you feel tangibly that you promote something.

I looked at the idea of Kick starter and I thought that it would be better to introduce various of features individually
for example: Magneto eCommerce platform (Open source, easy to use and support many payment gateways build it)
with some "group deal" Module that we change to "Contribute a feature"
Examples Modules:
http://ecommerce.aheadworks.com/magento-extensions/group-deals.html
http://www.magestore.com/magento-group-deal-extension.html
http://www.developers-inc.com/magento-extensions/group-deals.html

if If the development team will confirm this, I will take care to make the system work, based on magento
we have a lot of experience with magento.

Best Regards,
Star Network.

If someone want a feature, everybody is invited to get involved. that's the power of open source. if someone needs a specific feature, just let us know and we can tell if its possible and how much does it cost to develop, test and maintain in the core product. of just join as a community developer and send patches.

but its not possible to developed, test and maintain advanced features just because someone donates 5 euros ... (yes, we have a bunch of such requests).

btw, kickstarter is not available here (only US, probably in UK also but not here in Austria).

Hi Tom,
Get involved help to developers and "Technical people", this can help also to "simple" users and managers

am no taking about 5Euro feature, not 50 and not 500
But since each will contribute only part, for example: 20 people with 100euro each can give 2000 euro for feature

Actually I do not know if there's low involvement of people on this post Because it does not interest them or that they have no special opinion
we can just do test run and see (on magento for example, and I believe that there is more system that can be good for it)

Best Regards,
Star Network.

before talking about funding, pls let us know what feature do you plan to get funded here?

Here is a specific topic for discussion:
1. estimate cost for development (the development team) - per feature
to the community:
2. Are You will be ready to contribute 100 Euro for this Topic - Storage migration
3. Are You will be ready to contribute 100 Euro for this Topic - VZ on NAS/SAN

If you interested to explore this direction you can post it as sticky Survey

Yours sincerely,
Star Network.

storage migration is work in progress (and not that important as it can be already done via backup/restore), container can already run on NFS.

any ohter ideas?

not that simple. how much do you plan to sponsor for this?

I believe that more then 10 Community Members Contribute 100 euros (Including me Of course)
you can give the target Price depending on the time required and let's check it with the sticky Poll

Best Regards,
Star Network.

storage migration is work in progress (and not that important as it can be already done via backup/restore), container can already run on NFS.

any ohter ideas?
I was thinking something like storage vMotion in VmWare (online storage migration). offline is durable but inconvenient using backup/restore. Yes, VZ can run on NFS but migration is flaky due to the inherited locking/random tmp file bug in NFS. Using NFS also means migration is based on suspend which, dependent on the size of the container, can be counted in minuts. NFS is not either able to provide snapshotting functionality which could be possible given VZ was hosted inside some kind of container like a logical volume.

I would donate to help push Proxmox on along further. I can't even get my containers to use veth yet, but if I can get everything working then I plan to do considerable donations to Proxmox, OpenVZ, and KVM.

I think knowing how much it would take in donations to get a certain feature AND an easy way to select which feature(s) we want to donate to, would help considerably in choosing and donating.

I would donate to help push Proxmox on along further.

I hear that all the time, while donations remain 'zero'.

So I think instead of suggesting another donation system, you all have the following options if you want to speedup development:

- really donate something
- buy/sell subscriptions
- develop those feature yourself and post patches
- hire someone (or proxmox) to develop those features

As you can see, there are plenty of options - no need to invent something new.

I believe that more then 10 Community Members Contribute 100 euros (Including me Of course)

Nobody will start any custom development for such money. You can try to find a student, but likely he will not be able to implement such complex feature.

I hear that all the time, while donations remain 'zero'.

So I think instead of suggesting another donation system, you all have the following options if you want to speedup development:

- really donate something
- buy/sell subscriptions
- develop those feature yourself and post patches
- hire someone (or proxmox) to develop those features

As you can see, there are plenty of options - no need to invent something new.

Hi Dietmar,
- really donate something - I agree but The problem of motivation is not related only to you...
- buy/sell subscriptions - Not all of them need it, and if we treat it as a donation can look at #1
- develop those feature yourself and post patches - Requires technical expertise in languages ​​that most administrators do not know at the right level
- hire someone (or proxmox) to develop those features - We can relate to this post as "hire proxmox to develop features" but as group, so few community members can share the cost of development
Since this is not really low cost and it is difficult for small businesses to do it alone

Best Regards,
Star Network.

I do not have the knowledge to evaluate it correctly
As we wrote before, you should give the estimate cost and Post Poll (for example, do you pay cost/20 for this feature?) and see how many are ready to participate in this

Best Regards,
Star Network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!