Fresh installation, update to Bullseye?

I just completed a fresh install, and I'm wondering, as I go through all of the typical system configs and updates that we usually do, if there's any breakage issues with going straight to Bullseye now considering it's so close to release anyway?

Is anyone here running Bullseye in prod instead of the stock Buster?

Any issues experienced for anyone that is running Bullseye?

Any known gotchas? Breakages? Caveats?

Any compelling reasons why one shouldn't do this at this time?

Your comments, and suggestions are most welcome!

You have to wait for the first beta release of Proxmox VE 7.0 (bullseye based).

You can expect this quite soon.

Tom, can you say what are the new main features/corrections of Proxmox 7.0 ?

I'm asking because we are on point to deploy a new cluster and want your considerations if is recommended wait this new major version of Proxmox.

Do you have a prevision of when the final version of Proxmox 7.0 will be launch?

Thank you.

Tom, can you say what are the new main features/corrections of Proxmox 7.0 ?
We prepare all this right now, so please follow the forum announcements later this week.

You have to wait for the first beta release of Proxmox VE 7.0 (bullseye based).

You can expect this quite soon.

Hi @tom ,

And thank you very much! I see that the beta for 7.0 has indeed been released and that there is a direct migration for that beta to prod as soon as any bugs are squashed moving forward :)

On another note...

Here are some of the highlights of the Proxmox VE 7.0 beta version
  • Ceph Server: Ceph Pacific 16.2 is the new default. Ceph Octopus 15.2 comes with continued support.
  • BTRFS: modern copy on write file system natively supported by the Linux kernel, implementing features such as snapshots, built-in RAID, and self healing via checksums for data and metadata.

After looking over the notes of the Proxmox v7.0 beta release, it appears that Btrfs is now supported (Yay!). Still, I think I would have opted for ZFS, but Btrfs is good stuff too and I like it a lot.....

Are there similar constraints with respect to Btrfs as with ZFS? i.e., I would like to use Btrfs (with or w/o LVM) but if it is prone to the same types of data corruption under the HP Proliant dl380-G8's stock RAID controller (as per my post here https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/file-system-types-proliant-raid-10-no-smart-lvm-but-no-zfs.91504/ , I've configured RAID 10 w/the 8 disks and 2 partitions on that array), then I guess Ext4 under LVM will be fine, but my preference would be for Btrfs instead of Ext4.

I'm not seeing any docs addressing Btrfs, so it appears a bit like I would be going in blind to virgin territory without some guidance on the issue of hardware RAID in relation to it. Are there currently and *beta* or docs otherwise addressing the usage of Btrfs, especially with respect to Hardware RAID controllers, etc.?

Your thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!