First Steps setting-up Proxmox

frankennstein

May 9, 2023
Hello guys,

Last weekend I managed to install and setup my first home server with Proxmox. I have used an a old desktop PC, boosted a bit the memory and succsefully installed Proxmox VE. Everything seems to be working just fine and I am enjoying my setup. However, I may need help for few questions to the more experienced users. I appologize in advance if my post sounds a bit newbie, but this is my first time doing something like that and I am still learning.

Right now I can access my Proxmox from my network, but sometimes I may need to access the server remotely, when I am traveling. My ISP provides me with a public IP address and I managed to forward the port through my router and to access the server and VMs outside my network. But as far as I know, this is not a good practice since I leave a backdoor to my entire network at home. After a quick research I understood that the best way to achieve that is to setup a VPN. I have basically zero experience with VPNs and this is something entirely new to me. Which VPN is best for my purpose? Where to buy it? How to setup it after that, do I need some kind of a VPN client installed on the Proxmox? Most VPN providers that I checked have montly fees between 10-15 USD(not sure if they have Port-Forwarding incl. in the price), is this consider a normal price for such a service or I can get something cheeper? I am not searching for the cheapest solution, but I want to choose the right one.

Is there another way I can achieve the remote access without putting my entire network at risk?

Hello guys,

Last weekend I managed to install and setup my first home server with Proxmox. I have used an a old desktop PC, boosted a bit the memory and succsefully installed Proxmox VE. Everything seems to be working just fine and I am enjoying my setup. However, I may need help for few questions to the more experienced users. I appologize in advance if my post sounds a bit newbie, but this is my first time doing something like that and I am still learning.

Right now I can access my Proxmox from my network, but sometimes I may need to access the server remotely, when I am traveling. My ISP provides me with a public IP address and I managed to forward the port through my router and to access the server and VMs outside my network. But as far as I know, this is not a good practice since I leave a backdoor to my entire network at home. After a quick research I understood that the best way to achieve that is to setup a VPN. I have basically zero experience with VPNs and this is something entirely new to me. Which VPN is best for my purpose? Where to buy it? How to setup it after that, do I need some kind of a VPN client installed on the Proxmox? Most VPN providers that I checked have montly fees between 10-15 USD(not sure if they have Port-Forwarding incl. in the price), is this consider a normal price for such a service or I can get something cheeper? I am not searching for the cheapest solution, but I want to choose the right one.

Is there another way I can achieve the remote access without putting my entire network at risk?
Hi,
you do not need a external VPN provider to get remote access to your local network. Since you have a public IP, you can setup a VM on your PVE host with e.g. wireguard or openvpn running inside. Then you forward your vpn traffic ports from your ISP router to the VM.

Some routers has built-in VPN server, PPtP, OpenVPN, Wireguard, etc.
If your router supported by OpenWRT, you can install an OpenWRT firmware and set up Wireguard VPN, it simple enough.

The simplest way to set this up IMV is to install tailscale on a VM running on your proxmox host. You can then connect from outside your network using another pc running tailscale and away you go

https://tailscale.com

Hello again,

I have tried to setup Wireguard VPN but with no success. :confused: I was importing the client settings to the client pc and when I was activating the wireguard, everytime the client got entirely disconnected from the internet and still it has no access to the server. I suppose I messed up with the server configs and couldn't get it working properly.

Then I've found Twingate, which has few different methods to deploy it. It's really simple to install it with container in the server and to establish connection with their client. It's not exactly a VPN, more like a zero trust layer, but it's a good solution, at least for now and for my needs. I will rarely access the server outside my network and Twingate seems to be kind of a perfect approach. networkchuck has very simple and detailed video how to deploy Twingate with docker container, the entire setup took about 10 mins.

Wireguard key points are public key exchange between two peers and address setup, that all.

Yep, it looked a easy setup first time when I tried, but for some reason I didn't managed to make it work. I even tried to install pivpn in a container, which has very simple and basic setup, but it didn't worked for me. :rolleyes:

I have to admit that I've decided to switch to Twingate and didn't even tried a bit harder with Wireguard, maybe digging a little bit more would solve my issues. Nevertheless, I achieved my goal and I have working solution, at least for now. As I said I don't have plans to access the server remontly so often, most of the time I am working from my home inside my network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!