[FEEDBACK] Add 'Depends On' Option for Virtual Machines and Containers

Minionguyjpro

Oct 24, 2023
Hello folks! I would like to do a suggestion for Proxmox (I hope this is the correct place to do so, I thought it was the best place of them all). It would be nice to add a 'depends on' option for QEMU and KVM virtual machines and LXC containers so that with this multiple things get started at a time to resolve some conflicts. For example, I run a NAS system inside a TrueNAS VM (just an example, am not here to promote anything) in which I also store media files. I also have a JellyFin server in a container, with an NFS mount point that points to the NAS system and mounts it on the JellyFin server allowing me to access then the media files and play them from the JellyFin server. If the NAS VM isn't running and JellyFin is, then weird stuff happens with mounting which returns or the directory empty or an input/output error. Adding this option would make sure to resolve conflicts with this and make sure that the dependent things always stay active if one is. If the JellyFin container depends on the TrueNAS VM, then when starting the JellyFin container it will also make sure to start the TrueNAS VM first if it isn't started yet. However, this may still give issues since LXC boots quicker than a whole VM. In that case it'd be better to rely on guest agent returning something or delay the start of the container (although speeds will be different for every device so this would be a manual option then).

I hope this is the correct place to do so
No, feature requests go here: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

It would be nice to add a 'depends on' option for QEMU and KVM virtual machines and LXC containers so that with this multiple things get started at a time to resolve some conflicts.
Technically, there is no telling if only the VM is up or your serivce is running. Therefore there is already an option to add a startup delay so that you can schedule the startup of machines later. This is no service dependency, just time to wait yet would solve your problem.

Sounds like you're trying to reinvent the wheel. Systemd already provides dependencies functionality, why not take the dependent series of VMs out of autoboot and start them up with the init system instead.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!