[Solved] Failing to create pve cluster

millercentral

Apr 17, 2023
I'm trying to do what seems like the most simple thing, but am completely stuck trying to create a cluster for 3 nodes:

I have a clean install of the latest Proxmox on two identical Minisforum MS-01 pcs. I have:
  • Ensured time on both machines are in sync
  • Added each machine to the others host file
  • Successfully SSH-ed from one to another
  • Tried multiple browsers, in-private mode, cache clear, etc.
  • Re-setup both nodes multiple times
When I create a new cluster on the first device, it creates just fine.
One the second device, I choose Join Cluster, paste in the join information, add the root password of the cluster host node, confirm the link interface and press join.

The UI becomes unresponsive and in the cluster pane behind the job status dialog box it says: permission denied - invalid PVE ticket (401)
If I reload, the UI does not come up at all. On the host node, it shows the node that attempted to join in the Server View pane, but it is greyed-out/not active. Clicking on it gives the following error: Connection error 596: error:0A000086:SSL routines::certificate verify failed. pvecm status on the host shows both nodes.
Rebooting the joining node gets stuck trying to end pvescheduler.service -- after hard rebooting the node UI is unavailable.

I've also tried joining using pvecm add, but it fails in the same way.

I'm pulling my hair out and can't understand what is wrong. These are completely stock setups with a single nic each and no VMs/LXCs set. I haven't tried joining the third node because I don't want to have to re-set it up from scratch as well when/if it fails to join.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Update: Twenty-fifth time appears to the be the charm. Still not sure what was going wrong, but possibly didn't like my 10g port. Rebuilt again using 2.5gb port and now I'm in business. Strange...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!