Exposing LXC mountpoint to host

otoman

Mar 25, 2022
Hi,

I'm really not sure how to title this. Not even sure how on-topic this is but I really need help.
So I've created an LXC container using turnkey miedaserver template and am using it as a file server as well. All shares are actually mounted from the host as I want the host to have full access to everything. I also made a .recycle folder on the host and mounted it to /mnt/.recycle in the lxc and have configured samba to use that folder as a recycle bin. Yesterday I discovered that for whatever reason, only the folder structure of the deleted files is created in the recycle bin, but not files. If I leave the default samba path of /share/.recycle it all works fine. After hours of searching, asking ChatGPT and fiddling with permissions (even tried 777 on all relevant directories) the problem persisted. So today I decided to try and mount the default .recycle to my /mnt/.recycle folder and after some time figuring out correct permissions to prevent users from accessing the directory but still letting stuff be written, I managed to achieve that.
So now my files are recycled to share's .recycle folder and they all appear in the /mnt/.recycle folder. However, when accessing the .recycle folder on the host, nothing is visible. Now I know that due to my setup I can see the actual share and the .recycle on the host but what I really want is to have a common .recycle folder where all my containers would have their recycle bins so that only the host can view it all.

Please help as I'm completely lost on this. I think this is a samba bug or something as only the default path works correctly. Samba version is 4.13.

Thanks in advance!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!