[SOLVED] existing zpool isn't recognized by pbs

Sep 28, 2011
Hello,

we already have a backupserver with a zfs backend in use. Until today, we are doing our pve-cluster full backups via smb on this target, but we want to use the pbs in future to profit from incremental backups and other features.

I installed the pbs on top our existing VM backup server, following the documentation, and everything worked fine, first.
Code:
root@serverxyz:~# proxmox-backup-manager versions
proxmox-backup-server 1.0.5-1 running version: 1.0.5

I can access the webinterface, all disks are shown, but our existing zfspool isn't shown in the zfs tab.

1607437190486.png

the same happens on the commandline:
Code:
root@serverxyz:~# proxmox-backup-manager disk zpool list
Error: unable to parse zfs list output - 0: at line 1, in Eof:
zfspool    668503069687808    90599528423424    577903541264384    -    0    13    1.00    ONLINE    -

but our zfspool is OK and in use:
Code:
root@serverxyz:~# zpool list
NAME      SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
zfspool   608T  82,4T   526T         -     0%    13%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
Code:
root@serverxyz:~# zpool status
  pool: zfspool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 33h54m with 0 errors on Mon Nov  9 10:18:25 2020

i created an extra zfs fs with the intention to use it as datastore for the pbs:
Code:
root@serverxyz:~# zfs list
NAME              USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zfspool          67,6T   416T  2,57G  /zfspool
zfspool/backup   45,2T   416T  45,2T  /zfspool/backup
zfspool/pbs      59,6M   416T  59,6M  /zfspool/pbs
zfspool/proxmox  22,4T   416T  22,4T  /zfspool/proxmox

all i can do is add the path "/zfspool/pbs" as a datastore an this seem to work, but i dont know if this is the intended way.

i didn't found anything to my specific problem, so has anyone any suggestions?

thanks for all the help,

kind regards
sebastian

Hi,
the list commands fail, because there is one less column for the pre-existing pool. A newly created pool on PBS will have a CKPOINT column:
Code:
# zpool list
NAME      SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
zfspool  31.5G  24.8M  31.5G        -         -     0%     0%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
I'll take a look and hopefully it's not hard to fix.

Yes, you can just add a path to some ZFS filesystem, the pool view is informational only, apart from the ability to initially create a pool. What matters to PBS is having a filesystem it can work with.

I forgot to ask, which version of ZFS are you running (apt show zfsutils-linux)? Does it work if you upgrade to version 0.8.5-pve1?

Hi,

thanks for the reply, here is the requested output:

Code:
root@serverxyz:~# apt show zfsutils-linux
Package: zfsutils-linux
Version: 0.8.5-pve1
Priority: optional
Section: contrib/admin
Source: zfs-linux
Maintainer: Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com>
Installed-Size: 1.267 kB
Provides: zfsutils
Depends: python3, libblkid1 (>= 2.16), libc6 (>= 2.17), libnvpair1linux (>= 0.8.5), libudev1 (>= 183), libuuid1 (>= 2.16), libuutil1linux (>= 0.8.5), libzfs2linux (>= 0.8.5), libzpool2linux (>= 0.8.5), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
Recommends: lsb-base, zfs-zed
Suggests: nfs-kernel-server, samba-common-bin (>= 3.0.23), zfs-initramfs
Conflicts: zfs, zfs-fuse
Homepage: https://www.zfsonlinux.org/
Download-Size: 368 kB
APT-Sources: http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pbs buster/pbs-no-subscription amd64 Packages
Description: command-line tools to manage OpenZFS filesystems
OpenZFS is a storage platform that encompasses the functionality of
traditional filesystems and volume managers. It supports data checksums,
compression, encryption, snapshots, and more.
This package provides the zfs and zpool commands to create and administer
OpenZFS filesystems.

N: Es gibt 4 zusätzliche Einträge. Bitte verwenden Sie die Option »-a«, um sie anzuzeigen.

ok, and i've seen what you mean, i have also installed an older version. i will try the update and report back.

thanks so far.

Last edited:
thanks for your help,

it was quite a hassle to finish this. i originally installed the proxmox-backup-server package, because i wanted to keep my original system with kernel and everything.
an upgrade of the zfsutils-linux package to the latest version was not possible because of some dependency issues to the zfs-dkms and spl-dkms packeges installed before. after a backup of my system, a cleanup of the old packages and the installation of the proxmox-backup package finnaly everything seems to work now.

1607515373046.png

thanks again for your help.
kind regards

sebastian

Last edited:
Reactions: fiona

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!