Excessive Inode Consumption and /etc/lvm/archive

wits-zach

Nov 19, 2019
Some of you have probably seen these threads below:

I am experiencing a similar problem - but not due to Samba. I have very, very high inode usage due to /etc/lvm/archive creating lots of metadata backups (in the form of .vg files). I only became aware of this because of my inability to update to 5.4.124-1-pve. I kept getting the same errors everyone did with Samba.

I managed to "fix it", and my solution is found below:

Bash:
cd /
du --inodes -xS | sort -n #found the directory /etc/lvm/archive had 1M+ inodes consumded

#There were so many files in /etc/lvm/archive that bash was returning too many arguments errors, so I used the below to find the string of each VM's operating system to delete on encounter

cd /etc/lvm/archive
find . -iname 'OS1_*' -exec rm '{}' \;
find . -iname 'OS2-*' -exec rm '{}' \;
cp /etc/lvm/lvm.conf /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.bkp
nano /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
cat lvm.conf | grep retain
        # Configuration option backup/retain_min.
        retain_min = 10
        # Configuration option backup/retain_days.
        retain_days = 2

I say "fix" because I want to know at what cost. I changed it from 30 to 2 days. They are metadata backups, so I figure will be ok (there is a lot of creation/destruction of VM's), but I just want to make sure this doesn't make me pay a price later.

du --inodes -xS | sort -n #found the directory /etc/lvm/archive had 1M+ inodes consumded
seems the result of the lot of VM creation/destruction...

many operations on volume-groups (e.g. lvm creation/resize/deletion (all of which happen if you create a vm, migrate it, move a disk, clone it) create such a config-archive...
Whether you need it or not depends on your use-case - we had a few cases where having the archive entries around helped us find bugs which were quite well hidden - otoh in the years I worked as sysadmin/system designer - I did not run once into the situation of needing data from there (not really a relevant sample size - just my experience)

but having multiple million lvm-config copies sounds a bit much to keep around for ever

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!