[SOLVED] /etc/resolv.conf in lxc container used as dns server (pi-hole)

norbertk

Renowned Member
Jan 20, 2014
Hello all ,
I use proxmox 7.4-3 under debian bullseye and run a bunch of lxc's One of them is my dns-server with pi-hole and unbound as resolving dns-server. It has 10.10.1.20 as its fixed IP and It is referenced in my router ( 10.10.1.1) as DNS server and the whole thing works but feels slow, especialy in relation th the amount of ressources.

I installed pi-hole and unbound according to its Pi-Hole unbound documentation

The config is as follows:
Code:
root@grossglockner:~# pct config 231
arch: amd64
cores: 3
description: ### Aufgabe%0AWerbekillender DNS-Server %0A### Einzelheiten%0AIst in der Fritzbox eingebunden und wird an Clients im Netz weitergereicht%0A%0AIst selber ein resolving DNS-Server%0A
features: nesting=1
hostname: pi-hole
memory: 1024
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,gw=10.10.1.1,hwaddr=EA:A9:12:C1:9C:22,ip=10.10.1.20/32,ip6=fd00::e8a9:12ff:fec1:9c22/64,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-231-disk-0,size=10308760371
swap: 512
unprivileged: 1

Looking around in the container I found in /etc/resolv.conf the following content and this seems wrong, it makes no sense to have
Code:
root@pi-hole:/etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# --- BEGIN PVE ---
search fritz.box
nameserver 10.10.1.1
# --- END PVE ---
10.10.1.1 is the router
This seems to show that PVE set this information : Why and how does proxmox do this ?
Or is this just old data ?

resolvectl in the container seems to confirm that the setting is used.
Code:
root@pi-hole:/etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d# resolvectl
Global
         Protocols: +LLMNR +mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
  resolv.conf mode: foreign
Current DNS Server: 10.10.1.1
       DNS Servers: 10.10.1.1
        DNS Domain: fritz.box

Link 2 (eth0)
Current Scopes: LLMNR/IPv4 LLMNR/IPv6
     Protocols: -DefaultRoute +LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported

Can I just delete /etc/resolv.conf?

Thanks a lot

Norbert

you can set a containers DNS settings in the GUI (select the container, then DNS, and there you can configure the options).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!